PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime needed for MP3?

10Iron
10-20-2008, 10:11 PM
I've noticed that now Quicktime comes up when I attempt to download a diavlog using MP3. It doesn't allow me to copy it to my computer as I did before. It plays but how do I copy it to computer for download to my mp3 player? Thanks for info.

AemJeff
10-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I've noticed that now Quicktime comes up when I attempt to download a diavlog using MP3. It doesn't allow me to copy it to my computer as I did before. It plays but how do I copy it to computer for download to my mp3 player? Thanks for info.

What browser are you using? Generally if you can right click a media link, you should see a context menu. In FireFox that menu should have an entry "Save Link As..." that will let you save to a file. In IE there's a similar mechanism, but I don't recall the exact text.

10Iron
10-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I use Firefox and I've always been able to copy it just as you suggested.
I never had Quicktime come up when I click on MP3.
I don't have .mp3 associated with quicktime on my computer so I was puzzled.

TwinSwords
10-20-2008, 10:42 PM

One of the annoying things about Quicktime is that it takes over file assocations from time to time, especially if you upgrade versions. It sounds as though MP3s are now associated with Quicktime on your PC.

I don't know what your preferred media player is, but in all liklihood you can reset your file association from within it.

Alternatively, you may also be able to right-click on any MP3 file, select Properties from the context menu, and then you will see where you can change the program assigned to handle MP3s:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9991/fileassociationor7.png

bjkeefe
10-21-2008, 05:55 PM

Make sure you're right-clicking.* That should always cause a pop-up context menu to appear, no matter how the filetype associations on your computer might have been assigned.

* Or command-clicking, if you're one of those poor saps stuck with an original Apple one-button mouse.

10Iron
10-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Both of my computers now bring up Quicktime when I click on the mp3 download.

Neither computer has quicktime selected for mp3 files. Windows media player is the designated program for .mp3 files.

Quicktime will allow the playing of the mp3 download but it won't allow me to save a copy without buying the premium quicktime. I just want to save the download and then I will transfer to my mp3 player for use later. I had no problem doing this until recently.

I'm familiar with associating files with programs such as quicktime or media player. Quicktime is not associated with .mp3 type files. I know about right clicking and how to change the association.

Has anything changed with Bloggingheads?

10Iron
10-23-2008, 12:46 PM
I wanted to apologize for waisting space here. My problem was that my browser, Firefox, also has a method to set associations, under Options/Applications. Somehow Quicktime was now associated with Windows Media Player. Anytime a program called for windows media player quicktime would come up and take over.

Being an Apple product, it would then tell me that I had to buy their premium version in order to save the .mp3 file to my computer.

I only reported these problems to save someone else similar problems. Somehow Quicktime made this change without me knowing about it. To me it's almost as bad as the malware floating around the internet. Good luck

bjkeefe
10-23-2008, 12:53 PM
I wanted to apologize for waisting space here.

No prob, at least by my estimation. It's always good to hear about bugs from others. I know it has helped me in the past. Glad you got it straightened out.

Isn't Quicktime the suckiest program since EDLIN?

TwinSwords
10-23-2008, 02:54 PM
I wanted to apologize for waisting space here.

Don't worry, you're not wasting space. Looks like there's a lot of not-paper left. Post all you want.

TwinSwords
10-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Both of my computers now bring up Quicktime when I click on the mp3 download.

Neither computer has quicktime selected for mp3 files. Windows media player is the designated program for .mp3 files.

Quicktime will allow the playing of the mp3 download but it won't allow me to save a copy without buying the premium quicktime. I just want to save the download and then I will transfer to my mp3 player for use later. I had no problem doing this until recently.

I'm familiar with associating files with programs such as quicktime or media player. Quicktime is not associated with .mp3 type files. I know about right clicking and how to change the association.

Has anything changed with Bloggingheads?

Are you still having this problem? Are you using a Windows machine? (Windows XP?)

Assuming you are using Windows XP, what happens when you right-click on the link and select "Save link as" from the pop-up menu? Does it allow you to save a copy that way?

This method should bypass the Quicktime plugin in your browser so that Apple never gets a chance to demand you upgrade. Then, once it's on your desktop, you should be able to move it to your MP3 player.

To answer your other question about whether anything has changed on BHTV, I would not know. You'd have to contact tech support for that.

Email:
http://bloggingheads.tv/images/design_elements/email_tech.gif