PDA

View Full Version : New Gimmicks for BHTV

johnmarzan
10-15-2008, 06:31 AM
let political bloggers talk about sports.

yglesias and another blogger on the NBA.

douthat + drezner on baseball.

TwinSwords
10-15-2008, 10:49 AM

I think talking about sports (which, incidentally, has been done on a few occasions) would hurt BHTV because many, if not most, viewers would tune out once the sports talk started. Sports coverage would weaken and dilute the primary product BHTV offers.

I don't think there is substantial overlap between audiences who want deep, serious political analysis and audiences who want sports coverage. Unless BHTV could attract new audiences who were coming primarily for sports coverage (which would require a major, sustained effort that would take at least months if not years), BHTV would have to find its entire sports audience among its current politics audience. Trying to carve out a new audience as a subset of an existing audience, when there is so little overlap in interests between the two groups, doesn't sound like a winning proposition.

I'm (obviously) not into sports, but it seems there must be dozens or hundreds of podcasts and video sites devoted to sports coverage.

Furthermore, Bob has to leverage the influence he has: he has contacts in media, academia, and the world of policy planning institutions (e.g., think tanks, foundations, etc.), which is where he draws BHTV participants. I'm not aware that Bob has any particular pull in the sports world that would allow him to find good guests.

Just my own 2 cents...

johnmarzan
10-15-2008, 11:20 PM
i disagree. i'm not saying bhtv should do a regular sports podcast once a week. maybe only on special occassions--like before the start of the regular season, the start of the playoff season, or the start of the finals.

I would love to see political commentators like Douthat talk baseball or Yglesias re the NBA instead of Stephen A. Smith. that's what makes this thing different from the usual sites like espn--it's the type of people who do the commentary--the intellectuals.

bhtv has already done this with movie reviews. they can do this with sports too.

Baltimoron
10-17-2008, 06:40 PM
If viewers could know the schedule and could submit questions, 'heads could make a decision whether or not to discuss a particular sports topics. Without some sort of poll, whether overtly or implicitly through questions, how would 'heads really know what topics viewers want discussed?

Otherwise what are commenters doing other than shouting at Wright by voice vote, as it were, for very specific improvements and topics? Unles, of course, we enjoy accusing each other of hyper-partisanship and other sandbox tactics without any shred of evidence? Let's get a handle on how many commenters actually contribute, how they do it, and what target groups are on the Boards by which bhTV can make a reasoned argument about providing a product. And, make it public. For all we know, bhTV keeps its own stats and chooses to make certain decisions without disclosure.

bjkeefe
10-23-2008, 01:08 AM

Interesting ideas, John, but I think I'm against this, too. I wouldn't mind if, say, Yglesias talked basketball for a chunk of a diavlog. From what he says on his blog, he strikes me as a reasonably intelligent fan.

However, that's just it -- he's not, to all appearances, anything more than that. The real goodness of BH.tv is listening to people who really know something about a subject talk about that subject. I'm not against generalists per se, but to take it another step and encourage people to talk about something they have no special knowledge of sounds dreary to me.

I should say that I used to love sports, but no longer do. However, the previous thoughts are not specific to sports; e.g., I would be equally not thrilled at the prospect of, say, John Horgan and George Johnson talking politics for the entire hour. I'm happy to hear any smart person talk about any interest that strikes him or her, but unless they've got something to offer besides just being a generally smart person, I can't imagine I'd want to hear more than a few minutes worth of that conversation.

TwinSwords
10-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Interesting ideas, John, but I think I'm against this, too. I wouldn't mind if, say, Yglesias talked basketball for a chunk of a diavlog. From what he says on his blog, he strikes me as a reasonably intelligent fan.

However, that's just it -- he's not, to all appearances, anything more than that. The real goodness of BH.tv is listening to people who really know something about a subject talk about that subject. I'm not against generalists per se, but to take it another step and encourage people to talk about something they have no special knowledge of sounds dreary to me.

I should say that I used to love sports, but no longer do. However, the previous thoughts are not specific to sports; e.g., I would be equally not thrilled at the prospect of, say, John Horgan and George Johnson talking politics for the entire hour. I'm happy to hear any smart person talk about any interest that strikes him or her, but unless they've got something to offer besides just being a generally smart person, I can't imagine I'd want to hear more than a few minutes worth of that conversation.

So, I've been meaning to ask you. What do you think about the "sci fi" part of Poli Sci-Fi Radio (http://www.poliscifiradio.com/)?

The first couple of episodes I listened to, I really didn't like it when they stopped talking politics and started talking sci-fi -- especially because they were talking about TV shows I never even heard of, let alone watched.

But then listened to some of the old episodes from the archives and found some of the "sci-fi" segments more enjoyable, probably because they were talking about sci-fi stuff I knew a little more about, such as the exceptionally fun ABC show, Lost (http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index?pn=index).

So, now I'm not sure whether I'd prefer it was all politics or the mix of the two. I kind of get the feeling that Bill and Steve decided to do the show together but each have their own set of interests, so they kind of take turns: Steve with politics, Bill with sci-fi, but maybe not; that's just my impression after listening to 4-5 shows.

bjkeefe
10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
So, I've been meaning to ask you. What do you think about the "sci fi" part of Poli Sci-Fi Radio (http://www.poliscifiradio.com/)?

The first couple of episodes I listened to, I really didn't like it when they stopped talking politics and started talking sci-fi -- especially because they were talking about TV shows I never even heard of, let alone watched.

But then listened to some of the old episodes from the archives and found some of the "sci-fi" segments more enjoyable, probably because they were talking about sci-fi stuff I knew a little more about, such as the exceptionally fun ABC show, Lost (http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index?pn=index).

So, now I'm not sure whether I'd prefer it was all politics or the mix of the two. I kind of get the feeling that Bill and Steve decided to do the show together but each have their own set of interests, so they kind of take turns: Steve with politics, Bill with sci-fi, but maybe not; that's just my impression after listening to 4-5 shows.

When they talk about stuff I've seen or read, I like it all right, and sometimes quite a bit. Mad props to them for cluing me in about "Firefly," too. (All episodes on Hulu, last time I looked.) And sometimes, even if I haven't seen what they're talking about, it can be interesting. As I said to johnmarzan, I can enjoy listening to a few minutes of conversation about most things from any reasonably smart person.

Generally, though, if they changed it to all politics in the first hour and all sci-fi in the second hour, I'd be a lot happier.

nikkibong
10-23-2008, 03:32 PM
yes, excellent idea to have people come on and speak about subjects that they don't know about!

first off: may is suggest dan drezner and megan mcardle record a diavlog about the economic crisis?

oh, wait . . .http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/15159