PDA

View Full Version : Cult

uncle ebeneezer
10-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Being a West-coaster, I wasn't aware that one of my favorite all-time rock bands, Living Colour headlined a concert to help fundraise for Obama:

Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Living Colour headlines "Rock For Barack", a benefit concert in New York City also featuring The Family Stand, Earl Greyhound, Danielia Cotton, and Viva Mayday. 100% of the profits from the concert will go to Moveon.org in support of Barack Obama's presidential campaign.

Living Colour drummer Will Calhoun conceived the event as "a night of music with local musicians whose songs will get people thinking about change. That's what this concert is really about: we want people to use the occasion of Barack Obama's historic candidacy to make a change in their lives that goes beyond election day- taking responsibility for their actions, and thinking in new ways about our country, our politics, our families, and our future."

Living Colour, of course is best known for their hit song Cult of Personality, a phrase that has been tossed around alot by Obama opponents. But it is very appropriate that LC is supporting Obama. LC were the first band to really cross the "hard rock" threshold and have success (hit albums and multiple grammy nominations in a genre that is still predominantly white. And they did it way back in 1987, penning socially conscious (ghetto-centric) lyrics like:

"no, I'm not gonna rob you. No, i'm not gonna beat you. So why you wanna give me that funny vibe?" (Funny Vibe)

"you treat poor people just like trash. You turn around and and make big cash. Now our kids are living-dead. They crack and blow their lives away." (Open Letter to a Landlord)

"I read the headlines, your America's doing fine. I look out the window, my America's doin' time. I just wanna know, which way do I go, to get to your America?" (Which way America)

Anyways, regardless of your politics, if you ever have a chance to see Living Colour, these guys rock harder than just about anybody. Cheers-- UE

Ocean
10-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Nice post, uncle!

Now, let me ask you, are you addicted to starting threads? :)

uncle ebeneezer
10-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Totally addicted. Plus it allows me to frame the discussion in my own terms ;-)

Actually, I just find random stuff that I think people here would find interesting or have something to say about. If there's a good thread where I can throw them in, then I try and do that. But alot of times there's really no obvious place for them so, vwahla!! New thread.

Ocean
10-07-2008, 09:51 PM

Actually, I just find random stuff that I think people here would find interesting or have something to say about. If there's a good thread where I can throw them in, then I try and do that. But alot of times there's really no obvious place for them so, vwahla!! New thread.

Keep it up! I hate to see the same post day after day. We need some novelty!

uncle ebeneezer
10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm nothing if not novel.

TwinSwords
10-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Excellent point. I applaud your efforts. I think this part of the forum is underutilized.

Good idea! I always enjoy reading your threads even if I don't respond to them.

uncle ebeneezer
10-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks. It's nice to throw stuff out there that's not as hardcore horse-race or wonky, from time to time. Lightens things up a bit and maybe people find some common ground.

I have been somewhat of an obsessive fan of LC since they were really the first concert i went too (first concert without the parents when I was in Jr. High.) In addition to being proud Black Americans who weren't afraid to address social issues in their art, they were also one of the only Black American bands that openly celebrate their African ancestory in a way that is inspiring. The drummer Will Calhoun is one of the most amazing drummers I have ever seen, and i have met him a couple times at drum clinics and he's also super-nice and humble.