PDA

View Full Version : Give me a break! Please...

Ocean
09-17-2008, 09:11 PM
We have several more weeks until Election day. We are all following the campaign very closely and passionately commenting on the daily events. But, I would so much appreciate to have a break every now and then. Some refreshing topic unrelated to politics could provide some sanity...

It's a doctor's prescription! :)

uncle ebeneezer
09-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Turn to ESPN and follow the other race...the penant race.

Seriously, when I need a break from punditry I think sports are great. People take it just as seriously, but at least at the end of the day it's not gonna effect my life in any meaningful way.

Ocean
09-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Turn to ESPN and follow the other race...the penant race.

Seriously, when I need a break from punditry I think sports are great. People take it just as seriously, but at least at the end of the day it's not gonna effect my life in any meaningful way.

Sports? Just a reminder, I'm a woman... No. No shopping either. I hate shopping. No, no fashion, I have my own style. Cooking? No, I already know that... Soap operas? You must be kidding... Talk shows? Over my dead body...

To make it brief. I don't watch TV. Literally I don't. Well, occasionally if there is an extraordinarily good foreign film. :)

Yeah, not easy with me...

AemJeff
09-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Sports? Just a reminder, I'm a woman... No. No shopping either. I hate shopping. No, no fashion, I have my own style. Cooking? No, I already know that... Soap operas? You must be kidding... Talk shows? Over my dead body...

To make it brief. I don't watch TV. Literally I don't. Well, occasionally if there is an extraordinarily good foreign film. :)

Yeah, not easy with me...

Hey, I'm a guy, and I have no sports-watching gene whatsoever. (Well... maybe if internal combustion is involved - but, being a coastal elitist - No NASCAR!)

More seriously, I'm with you. I can't quite seem to stop posting on Palin [grits teeth... err, where was I?], but I can detect signs of Major Election burnout beginning to set in. I bet all I watch in November is B&W movies on DVD.

Ocean
09-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I bet all I watch in November is B&W movies on DVD.

There's six more weeks between now and November...

AemJeff
09-17-2008, 10:46 PM
There's six more weeks between now and November...

Six long weeks. I'm an addict. The process has already ceased netting me much pleasure; it's just become a grim slog to the end. It happens every four years.

The one thing that lifts me up, somewhat, is that my side will, in all likelihood, completely uncharacteristically win at least two of the three big prizes at stake.

SkepticDoc
09-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I find that Monty Python videos always make me smile...

Ocean
09-21-2008, 10:11 AM

I gave them an honest try. It must be cultural. Musicals are not my cup of tea...

SkepticDoc
09-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I am sure you can find something on YouTube that will make you smile, I like to listen to Kathleen Madigan, Lewis Black, Emo Phillps and others.

Pat Condell can be actually depressing unless you are in the right frame of mind.

Ocean
09-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I am sure you can find something on YouTube that will make you smile, I like to listen to Kathleen Madigan, Lewis Black, Emo Phillps and others.

Pat Condell can be actually depressing unless you are in the right frame of mind.

Perhaps I haven't been clear enough. I don't need You Tube in order to smile. It comes naturally to me. There are things that make me stop smiling, momentarily... But it doesn't last long.

Now this time you came up with one of my favorites: Lewis Black. Although this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9iMgSNrwv4) is not the original version, it still captures the humor. And by the way, New York isn't even the worst. I lived in Seattle for two years, I know what he is talking about...

AemJeff
09-21-2008, 12:45 PM

To the extent that I keep my attention elsewhere, I'm fine. It's the masochistic compulsion to peek that I just can't master. Maybe you're right, I'll just line up the entire Python and Gilliam cannon and keep myself fully immersed for the next month and a half. Great idea!

SkepticDoc
09-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Avoid Brazil...

Consider Memento, Stardust, Rent, Lord Jim, Fog of War, Starman

HDNet movies will show on cable Humboldt County free before it is released to theaters (9.95 on PPV if you can't wait), looks interesting.

Of course if you just want to escape reality, "The Matrix" and "The Lord of the Ring" trilogy are among the best options.

AemJeff
09-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Avoid Brazil...

Here we differ. I have the Criterion three disk edition of Brazil, with alternate endings and all sorts of obsessive fanboy fantasmagoria!

SkepticDoc
09-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Brazil is too dark and depressing for me...

I really like "All That Jazz"

We could consider making October "Pirate Month"....

AemJeff
09-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Brazil is too dark and depressing for me...

I really like "All That Jazz"

We could consider making October "Pirate Month"....

That's less depressing than Brazil? I will say that Roy Scheider turned in one of the greatest performances of his career (Roy's great performances post All That Jazz? Hmm...)

err.. Me Hardy! (...or would that be "hearty?")

SkepticDoc
09-21-2008, 04:00 PM
It is a personal choice, I would like to go out with a "Bang", say "Bye" to all the women I have loved!

Ocean
09-21-2008, 05:02 PM
It is a personal choice, I would like to go out with a "Bang", say "Bye" to all the women I have loved!

Tell us more, Skepticdoc, tell us more...

SkepticDoc
09-21-2008, 05:53 PM
True gentlemen never tell...

"Clair de Femme" is also a great film, I loved Romy, too bad she had a tragic life.

Blue Thunder, Marathon Man, Sorcerer were great Scheider films

How could I leave out Costa Gavras films- Z, State of Siege?

Or Sellers "Being There"!

This could be a list of interesting films: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_condemned_by_the_Legion_of_Decency

nikkibong
09-22-2008, 01:43 AM
the new diavlog about academia is quite um, well, is riveting the word? (by the way, it's only accessible if you click on another diavlog.)

always good to see jim holt, as well.

Ocean
09-23-2008, 07:30 AM
the new diavlog about academia is quite um, well, is riveting the word? (by the way, it's only accessible if you click on another diavlog.)

always good to see jim holt, as well.

Thank you. I enjoyed both.

SkepticDoc
09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Tell us more, Skepticdoc, tell us more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNcl0L7eJUY&feature=related