PDA

View Full Version : Guest Recommendations (finance)

Namazu
09-05-2008, 04:00 PM
The meltdown of our financial system is an extremely important and complex topic. The first two people I would contact (and I'll send a tickler separately) are leading bloggers Barry Ritholtz (Bigpicture), Paul Kedrosky (Infectious Greed), Mike Shedlock (Globaleconomicanalysis), or anyone at Naked Capitalism or Calculated Risk willing to go on camera (maybe in disguise?). They might beg off and suggest someone else. Another way to go would be the academic route: Bob Shiller (Irrational Exuberance) would be a great get. I can provide other names and react to potential pairings if you ping me. I think the closest bhtv has come to guests who can cover these topics are Dan Gross and Jimmy P., who I think are fine journalists, but don't have the same depth as either a scholar or a market participant.

Namazu
09-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Bhtv is failing to cover the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression (or perhaps worse). Here's the pair you should invite:

Nouriel Roubini, whose views are well-known from his Web site RGEmonitor and a spate of recent public appearances and profiles.

Mike "Mish" Shedlock, whose blog globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com, is less well-known to the general public, but highly influential in financial circles.

If you work backwards from Mish's recent post, you'll see the makings of a great debate on the nature of the crisis, fiat currencies, the role of government in central banking, the housing industry, and financial regulation. This would be a fantastic conversation between two intellectual heavyweights who were way out in front of everyone else in calling the current state of affairs.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/09/roubini-misses-boat-on-regulation.html

uncle ebeneezer
09-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Namazu, I agree there should be a Fannie/Freddie vlog. All I ask is that the participants give some sortof financial primer at the beginning for finance-challenged people like myself.

AemJeff
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Namazu, I agree there should be a Fannie/Freddie vlog. All I ask is that the participants give some sortof financial primer at the beginning for finance-challenged people like myself.

I have no doubt that they'd like to do it. I'm guessing that lining up the right participants isn't a simple thing.

uncle ebeneezer
09-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Dean Baker or Bob Reich would be great for the Dem side. Not sure who would represent the rightward-outlook but I think there's an economist or two out there who are conservative ;-)