PDA

View Full Version : The Tom Brokaw Interregnum

Baltimoron
08-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Has anyone watched Meet the Press these last few weeks? I might have quibbled over the significance of Tim Russert's style during his tenure. However, it seems Tom Brokaw is not only more relaxed, but is actually a bit of a cream puff. The recent installment with Senators Kerry and Lieberman (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25992968/) seemed just sloppy.

Any comments?

AemJeff
08-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Has anyone watched Meet the Press these last few weeks? I might have quibbled over the significance of Tim Russert's style during his tenure. However, it seems Tom Brokaw is not only more relaxed, but is actually a bit of a cream puff. The recent installment with Senators Kerry and Lieberman (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25992968/) seemed just sloppy.

Any comments?

I Tivo MTP every week. Unless there's a panel of journalists with a wide mixture of viewpoints, or a high level of expertise (Chuck Todd, in that latter category, e.g.), it's always been hard to watch. Russert's interview style was capricious, and often seemed pointless. Brokaw doesn't seem to have any heart for confrontation, and really seems to lack a schtick. It seems no more or less content-free than it did with Russert at the helm. Either way if the guests are candidates or surrogates I'm just not interested in the show. Of course when Russert was at the helm, that meant that on the odd occasion that he scored a legitimate point I almost always missed it. I've a feeling I'm less likely to miss out on anything interesting now.

TwinSwords
08-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I Tivo MTP every week. Unless there's a panel of journalists with a wide mixture of viewpoints, or a high level of expertise (Chuck Todd, in that latter category, e.g.), it's always been hard to watch. Russert's interview style was capricious, and often seemed pointless.
That's a good description. Especially the "pointless" part. And it's sad, isn't it? MTP was supposed the signature show in all of television journalism, and it offered almost nothing. The news networks obviously have perfected the formula for sucking.