PDA

View Full Version : Bob's promise

graz
07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Re: Mickey's absence and Bob's promise. Maybe Mickey is at a hip-hop conference.

McWhorter’s comparatively measured approach may strike more of a chord with black listeners, although the fact that he is a senior fellow at the conservative Manhattan Institute means many people not familiar with his previous forays into politics (including the excellent polemic Losing the Race) will automatically write him off as a Republican hack. In fact, he is a centrist, and is supporting Obama in the presidential contest. (His Bloggingheads video dialogues with another independent-minded black intellectual, Glenn Loury, have been one of the most fascinating new media phenomena of this election year.)

Above excerpted from:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article4311440.ece

Bob, don't forget your promise to air out your hip-hop knowledge with Mickey:http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/12642?in=00:51:07&out=00:52:50/

uncle ebeneezer
07-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Great find Graz. Good to see McWhorter and BHTV getting press, although they make John out to be so much more controversial than he is on here. I really gotta read some of his books.

Chef
07-19-2008, 01:25 AM
(His Bloggingheads video dialogues with another independent-minded black intellectual, Glenn Loury, have been one of the most fascinating new media phenomena of this election year.)[/I]

Interesting.

Did they just drop the word "Bloggingheads" in that article with no link or explanation about what it is? As in: any moderately hip individual already knows about BHTV, and we're not going to explain it if you don't.

That's mindshare, baby.

bjkeefe
07-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Did they just drop the word "Bloggingheads" in that article with no link or explanation about what it is? As in: any moderately hip individual already knows about BHTV, and we're not going to explain it if you don't.

It is my observation that major newspapers are nearly universally horrible when it comes to linkifying their articles. Could be for any number of reasons, including one good one, but I'd say this is more likely the case than there being an expectation of familiarity with BH.tv. We still have cult status (and we like it that way! (Sorry, Bob.)).

The "good one," btw, is that a link from a major newspaper's website can provoke such a traffic spike that smaller web sites can get buried. I've seen this documented in a few cases, connected to the NYTimes. Not that it applies in this case, but it is one of the reasons why newspapers tend to avoid linking.

The others, of course, are bad (e.g., fear of visitors going away, never to return) or neutral (e.g., lack of resources to update a story when it moves from its print incarnation to its Web version). I had an interesting email exchange with the NYT's online editor about this problem of weak linkifying, and he confirmed that the old guard still fears loss of eyeballs and sees no upside to paying someone to modify the e-version of their articles.