PDA

View Full Version : Any Firefly fans? I need your help...

johnnk
06-30-2008, 03:42 PM
As anyone who has seen an episode of Firefly can tell you. Firefly is undoubtedly one of the most brilliant television series ever created. How else could a television show which only aired for nine episodes, in the wrong order, aired on Friday night, was preempted by baseball, was given little to no marketing, and was pulled from the air so quickly, managed to draw in such a dedicated fan base that the dvds sales numbered among the highest of all time, a major feature film was produced, and the series is still, to this day, the highest rated television series on tv.com three years after the last episode was aired. There's a reason why the feature film based on the franchise has received very positive reviews from virtually every major publication, though it's still not nearly as brilliant as the television show. Furthermore, the brilliant characters and the rich universe that the franchise immerses you has so many possibilities for storylines since each new world that the crew manages to find themselves on can very plausibly be like no other world they've been on before. Each could have a wholly distinct ruling body, a very different set of rules and beliefs, and could each expose the audience to a wholly novel experience.

Please take a moment and sign the petition! (http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/bringbackfirefly)

bjkeefe
06-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I came across that show long after it went off the air and loved it.

Thanks, hulu.com! (http://www.hulu.com/firefly)

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm happy to sign the petition.

TwinSwords
06-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I came across that show long after it went off the air and loved it.

Thanks, hulu.com! (http://www.hulu.com/firefly)

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm happy to sign the petition.

Never watched this, but I noticed the episodes are ordered by air date rather than episode number. How would you suggest a new viewer watch the series? In the order of air date, or by episode number?

bjkeefe
07-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Never watched this, but I noticed the episodes are ordered by air date rather than episode number. How would you suggest a new viewer watch the series? In the order of air date, or by episode number?

By episode number. It's not completely a serial, but some of the episodes build a bit on the earlier ones.

Thus Spoke Elvis
07-01-2008, 11:51 AM

Definitely by episode number, as there's plenty of jokes/plot points that play off previous shows. Netflix is the way to go. Also, listen to the commentary tracks -- quite a few of them are really funny.

Also, DO NOT see Serenity unless you've seen the TV show first. A lot of things about the movie are more meaningful if you've become invested in the characters.

bjkeefe
07-01-2008, 04:01 PM
... but I'm happy to sign the petition.

Heh. 18 sigs added in the 24 hours since I said this.

Another example of good taste being the minority opinion in this country.

TwinSwords
07-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Definitely by episode number, as there's plenty of jokes/plot points that play off previous shows. Netflix is the way to go. Also, listen to the commentary tracks -- quite a few of them are really funny.

Also, DO NOT see Serenity unless you've seen the TV show first. A lot of things about the movie are more meaningful if you've become invested in the characters.

Thanks to both BJK and TSE for the advice!

So, why did they air them out of order, anyway?

Thus Spoke Elvis
07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
So, why did they air them out of order, anyway?

My knowledge of this is based on my imperfect memory of some of the episodes' audio commentaries, as I didn't watch the show when it originally aired.

Fox thought the pilot was too slow, so they aired a more fast-paced episode first. The problem was that the pilot established a lot of important backstory elements. It set the stage for everything that follows. So while the pilot wasn't the most exciting episode (IMO), it was necessary for the overarching storyline.

Additionally, there were a ton of scheduling conflicts during the show's brief run (i.e., the World Series, a primetime speech by Bush in the build-up to the Iraq War). However, if an episode was preempted one week, it would not be shown the following week. Instead, Fox would air that week's originally-scheduled episode. Oftentimes, the preempted episode wouldn't air until after several later episodes had already aired. This made some of the later episodes' jokes and references confusing.

It all seemed rather stupid. Joss Wheden, the show's creator, repeatedly stated that he'd never work for Fox again because of their handling of Firefly.

TwinSwords
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
My knowledge of this is based on my imperfect memory of some of the episodes' audio commentaries, as I didn't watch the show when it originally aired.

Fox thought the pilot was too slow, so they aired a more fast-paced episode first. The problem was that the pilot established a lot of important backstory elements. It set the stage for everything that follows. So while the pilot wasn't the most exciting episode (IMO), it was necessary for the overarching storyline.

Additionally, there were a ton of scheduling conflicts during the show's brief run (i.e., the World Series, a primetime speech by Bush in the build-up to the Iraq War). However, if an episode was preempted one week, it would not be shown the following week. Instead, Fox would air that week's originally-scheduled episode. Oftentimes, the preempted episode wouldn't air until after several later episodes had already aired. This made some of the later episodes' jokes and references confusing.

It all seemed rather stupid. Joss Wheden, the show's creator, repeatedly stated that he'd never work for Fox again because of their handling of Firefly.
Wow, that's very interesting. Thank you for the explanation. And, Joss Wheden, he's cool. He's the Buffy & the Vampire Slayers guy, isn't he? I've heard very good things about that show, too, and have wanted to watch it ever since I heard him interviewed on Fresh Air. One of my pals even bought me season 1 on DVD, which sits unwatched to this day (much to my friend's chagrin).