PDA

View Full Version : Two levels to the comments section?

del
05-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi All,

So I've been slacking off on my bhtv viewership lately and only got to the 3/7 Althouse/Merritt diavlog on 3/10 . . . one of the bloggers annoyed me to no end and i posted an (admittedly intemperate) comment and it didn't show up on the 'main" page, leading me to think it had been deleted by a moderator . . . but then it turns out it is there on the comments page . . .

So while I've never noticed any delay in having comments post immediately on the main page when one posts on a "current" thread, is there some sort of moderated delay when a thread is more than two days old? i don't necessarily think that'd be a bad idea (otherwise someone could always get the "last word' on ancient threads without other commenters noticing) but it would still be helpful to know what the policy is . . .

All best,
Del

bjkeefe
05-10-2008, 03:38 PM
So while I've never noticed any delay in having comments post immediately on the main page when one posts on a "current" thread, is there some sort of moderated delay when a thread is more than two days old?

I don't think that's what's happening. From an exchange in the past with BH.tv support, I remember something about there being a fixed limit to how many comments appear on the video page. It appears that your comments came right after the threshold had been reached.

I just counted how many comments do appear on the JM/AA video page and it's 99. If you think about the algorithm used to build this part of the video page, it probably goes something like this:

set K = 1
while (K < 100) do {
- get comment number K from database, if it exists
- print comment to page
- increase K by 1
}

I'm guessing that the original design called for a maximum of 100 comments on a given video page, but the "while" loop was implemented with an "off-by-one" error. A fussbudget with a fondness for round numbers, like me, would change the test to "while (K <= 100) do { ..."

Further confirmation for this hypothesis: I added another comment to the thread and it doesn't appear on the video page, even after reloading, either.

As you have observed, posting a comment in a thread before the thread gets too large always results in your comment appearing on the video page as soon as you reload that page. Always. This strongly indicates that there isn't any person-in-loop moderation going on.

Especially when you look at the content of some of the other comments, I mean. ;^)

If you want one more piece of confirmation, go to the thread for an older diavlog that has only a few comments. Add a new one there, reload the video page, and you should see your comment appear immediately.

Assuming you're still awake, I hope this sets your mind at ease.

del
05-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks BJ,

i hadn't thought of that and that is indeed a very persuasive explanation!

All best,
Del