PDA

View Full Version : UN Plaza: Kerfuffles Edition

Bloggingheads
04-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Eastwest
04-27-2008, 04:01 AM
Good DV and funny, too (though sometimes in a gruesome way, as with this "Whiz Kids" Dingalink (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/10560?in=00:07:16&out=00:07:43)).

Also, kind of have to appreciate how Mathew is so jazzed, he's bouncing up and down the whole time like a fighter in the ring high on god knows what (probably just caffeine in this case).

Thanks to both.

EW

Mr. Mayhem
04-28-2008, 01:11 PM
These guys are my favorite Bloggingheads combo.

piscivorous
04-28-2008, 02:16 PM
It is a shame that there is so little comment traffic on the UN Plazza editions wit Mr. Goldberg and Mr. Lee. They are not only informative, on issues that don't see much regular coverage, Mr. Lee seems to bring so much energy and focus to them with his mixture of insightful commentary and mastery of the subjects, he addresses, he throws in sufficient "water cooler" insight that it is entertaining as well.

Flaw
04-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Another great bloggingheads. Thanks guys.

bjkeefe
04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
pisc:

I agree with everything you said about the quality of these diavlogs. I don't think the number of comments necessarily correlates with the amount of viewer interest. My own reason for not usually commenting on these is a combination of:

1. Not knowing about enough the issues to have much of use to add
2. Agreeing with pretty much all views expressed, to the extent that I do understand them.

These diavlogs are more like being in class, at least for me, or reading a news report as opposed to an op-ed.

piscivorous
04-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Yes the topics are usually a little of the beaten path and it is hard to comment on as you said knowledge is limited. but I don't want the powers to be to get the idea that the diavlogs are not liked or appreciated and they will disappear, as the commercial nature of making a buck begin to dominate the site. I clicked over from a link on Kausfiles and the first few seconds was actually a commercial! Frightening!!

bjkeefe
04-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes the topics are usually a little of the beaten path and it is hard to comment on as you said knowledge is limited. but I don't want the powers to be to get the idea that the diavlogs are not liked or appreciated and they will disappear, as the commercial nature of making a buck begin to dominate the site. I clicked over from a link on Kausfiles and the first few seconds was actually a commercial! Frightening!!

I would think the BH.tv overlords would consider not only the number of comments, but the number of views the video receives. In fact, I think they'd probably not weight the number of comments very highly, since any thread that has more than a few levels of response is usually well off the diavlog topic by then. That's how I'd look at it, anyway.

You're right about the worries of the commercialization. I don't have any problem with the site trying to make money, but there are no free lunches. I think showing an ad at the beginning of a diavlog is fine, but the same ad at the beginning of every dingalinked clip might kill the dingalink. The short, funny ones, anyway. Who wants to sit through a 6-second commercial for a 4-second laugh?

This is a minor gripe. My larger worry would be if site traffic (or number of comments) started determining which topics were covered in the diavlogs. Apparently, everybody but me has an insatiable appetite for horse race, for example, and I wonder if BH.tv might get to the point where diavlogs that aren't so much to do with front page news will be less preferred. There is often a tendency when trying to make money to become more like one's competitors, and rarely an effort to win by being different, out of fear of relegation to a niche role in the marketplace. I guess we'll see.

look
04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks Mark and Matt. It's nice to get a taste of what is going on in the Tower of Babel.

Matt, I was wondering if you were denied access to that meeting because you might be getting a rep as a trouble-maker. You said people weren't too happy about you posting the suicide picture, and then you drew attention to Ban's Olympic plans....