PDA

View Full Version : Call to Action

bjkeefe
04-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Usually, I like Thers. But this time, he's dead wrong.

Go fill up his comments with vitriol. Do it now (http://whiskeyfire.typepad.com/whiskey_fire/2008/04/tv-wisdom.html).

cragger
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Actually, I kinda like it. What you are responding to is ... a call to action. A call to stop yakking and being so politically correct that nothing gets a response beyond a position paper and to start kicking some butt.

Sure, there is value in having preconceptions challenged, and to allowing a wide range of viewpoints. Like some other things, taken to an absolute that value can become negative.

I get your desire to defend BHTV, but remember, this is a site founded by a proponent of evolutionary psychology. Biological Darwinism is like social and political Darwinism is like gravity. None ever sleep.

In reference to both your link and one of my favorite hobbyhorses, when the tiger comes to eat you, or somebody comes to advocate torture, well yeah, you can debate the ethics of being a carnivore, and suggest that torture is not a wonderful policy. Or you can throw the SOBs in the tar pit. One response leaves you free to debate ideas for health care policy. The other leaves you getting crapped out by the stream or getting beat on the kidneys 'till you piss blood for a week.

So yeah, I sorta get your point, but that dude or dudette has a fire in the belly and is willing to stand up and fight. I like having some folks like that on my side.

bjkeefe
04-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Given the choice between debating health care policy and being eaten by a tiger, the only thing I have to say is, "Here, kitty kitty."

cragger
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Heh. Yep. But like mom said, have to eat your vegetables.

I take your points, including your first. The pen is mightier than the sword and all that. Just remember though, when somebody comes after you with a blade and you whip out a ballpoint its not pretty. Sometimes you have to play in the real world, nature red in tooth and claw and so on. In the immortal words of the late great Walt Kelly -

"We have met the enemy, and they is us."

bjkeefe
04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
As long as we're trading aphorisms, here's one of my favorites (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/29885.html).

I am aware that I am privileged to live in an orderly society, but really, worrying about someone coming after me with a blade is pretty far down on the list. And if it happens, I'll trust to instinct. Or get eaten by the tiger, in which case I won't have any more worries. End of problem.

TwinSwords
04-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Usually, I like Thers. But this time, he's dead wrong.

Go fill up his comments with vitriol. Do it now (http://whiskeyfire.typepad.com/whiskey_fire/2008/04/tv-wisdom.html).

God! I like Thers, too, but I cannot believe that post! It's like he's blaming BHTV for the existence of nitwits like Erick Erickson.

I do agree with Thers that BHTV should not be so obsessed with starting fights between left and right, constantly demanding that every participant argue with his or her counterpart (I'm exagerating for effect). Some of the best episodes, where ideas are explored in the greatest depth, are those with two people who basically agree with each other.

bjkeefe
04-18-2008, 02:09 AM
I do agree with Thers that BHTV should not be so obsessed with starting fights between left and right, constantly demanding that every participant argue with his or her counterpart (I'm exagerating for effect). Some of the best episodes, where ideas are explored in the greatest depth, are those with two people who basically agree with each other.

I'm with you 100%: BH.tv shouldn't be trying to be like every piece of crap cable yap show, BH.tv isn't really all that bad, and yes, many of the best diavlogs are conversations or interviews.

cragger
04-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Violence? Oh goodness me! Shocking indeed to think that one so erudite as to have casual access to the term aphorism could so misconstrue metaphor. Dear old Madam C is so distressed by the very thought that she has had to retire to her chambers lo these last two days, poor thing.