PDA

View Full Version : Republicans for Hillary?

Bloggingheads
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM

Kausophile
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Brilliant wmv! Like Beckett.

Joel_Cairo
04-09-2008, 11:39 AM
The second half of this (http://www.bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/10077?in=00:05:49&out=00:05:58) claim could use a little evidence (preferably evidence not penned by Continetti's colleagues and evidence not premised on the notion that Anbar's willingness to accept bribes is somehow an indicator of state capacity)

StillmanThomas
04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
What an incredibly dreary conversation. At the cost of a few more hundreds of billions of dollars and hundreds of Amercan lives (and who knows how many Iraqi lives), we've finally managed to take Iraq back to 2005. Now there's a coherent strategy!

ohcomeon
04-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm curious. Any McCain Democrats out there?

bjkeefe
04-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Bokonon:

What an incredibly dreary conversation.

Agreed. The entire diavlog amounted to this:

Continetti: I will now restate the Weekly Standard talking points that you all just heard from Michael Goldfarb: [surge working blah blah Democrats bad blah blah Obama bad blah blah McCain great blah blah]

Scheiber: You may have a point there.

bjkeefe
04-09-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm curious. Any McCain Democrats out there?

Follow-up question: If yes, do you prefer McCain to both Democratic candidates, or just McCain over Obama?

Joel_Cairo
04-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Follow-up question: If yes, do you prefer McCain to both Democratic candidates, or just McCain over Obama?

Demographically speaking, isn't BhTv about the last place you're likely to find McCain Democrats? Seems to me these people tend to be older, risk-averse, economically down-scale types and are almost by definition low-info voters (as it takes considerable suspension-of-informed-opinion for a Democrat to support McCain without a head-exploding level of cognitive dissonance)

bjkeefe
04-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Joel:

... isn't BhTv about the last place you're likely to find McCain Democrats?

Probably you're right. But I'm still curious to see if anyone answers ohc's question in the affirmative.

basman
04-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Just want to say that this diavlog could be a template for how they should be: really smart, respectful guys--they happen to be guys, don't need to be--civil, thoughful as all get out, firm in their own reasoned assertions, and all those other good things.

That's all.

basman
04-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I also liked Continetti's take on why Hillary is a good choice for Democrtas and why he respects her and I note that Scheiber who in TNR is solid for Obama has very little to say in pushing back. Strange how folks --pace Douthat/now Scheiber--in this forum sometimes don't speak up strongly consistently with their own generally taken positions.

lamoose
04-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Just want to say that this diavlog could be a template for how they should be: really smart, respectful guys--they happen to be guys, don't need to be--civil, thoughful as all get out, firm in their own reasoned assertions, and all those other good things.

That's all.

Yeah? Well you're a big fat dum dum!

bjk
04-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Matthew Continetti got out of his chair, declared he was sick of just talking about war, and marched off to enlist. That was awesome.

scorbs
04-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Scheiber says clinton's comments will be used against Obama. What about Obama's negative campaigning since last November, when he's done nothing but trashed her character and misstated her positions? Not only that, but he's taken some of her positions wholesale as if he wrote them.

I think Obama is bringing himself down, with his associations and his diffuse lying on a number of issues, like he doesn't take lobbyist money or oil money (HE DOES) or that he had no knowledge about Wright (he was in church often enough and yes, he knew).

So Scheiber is off the mark.

scorbs
04-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't think Reagan Democrats are going to go for Obama. They're blue-collar and very patriotic, and Obama is going to get deconstructed by conservatives. He's going to be torn asunder for his Wright, Ayers, and Auchi contacts. Reagan Republicans? They just hate Clintons.

thouartgob
04-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Scheiber says clinton's comments will be used against Obama. What about Obama's negative campaigning since last November, when he's done nothing but trashed her character and misstated her positions? Not only that, but he's taken some of her positions wholesale as if he wrote them.

I think Obama is bringing himself down, with his associations and his diffuse lying on a number of issues, like he doesn't take lobbyist money or oil money (HE DOES) or that he had no knowledge about Wright (he was in church often enough and yes, he knew).

So Scheiber is off the mark.

I think it is the specific remarks she made that make a difference in the general elections vs the lefty back and forth that you get in the democratic race. Obama and Clinton can trade barbs about particulars of health care, iraq etc. but that has nothing to do with saying that the Republican nominee would make a better comander-in-chief (CiC) than Obama. Not only was that charge made but SHE made it. Has Obama made any such claim ?

I would also say that Ferraro made a significant error and the clintons made one by not jumping in early to defuse the situation. Ferraro tossed in the idea that Obama was an affirmative action hire essentially and now Republicans can rightly point to either Barack being the AA nominee or if hillary is nominated, broaching the idea that if hiring (nominating) a black man for reasons other than competency is bad in the Democratic race then why is it ok for Dems to fight for affirmative action in general.

As for bringing themselves down with "diffuse lying on a number of issues" well if one was to stack Obama and Hillary's transgressions up next to each other, I think Obama does well there.