PDA

View Full Version : U.N. Plaza: U.S. vs. E.U. vs. China

Bloggingheads
03-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Eastwest
03-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Another Great BHTV DV. So nice these DVs which really cut through all of the political spinning of MSM delusion-reinforcing echo-chamber analysis.

Parag Khanna is really an impressively sharp analyst of the big picture and a marvelous articulator of his ideas as well.

Hope to see more of him if possible.

Thanks to MLG for giving him a forum to lay out his very important ideas which more or less serve notice that the US dominance of world events is rapidly becoming history.

EW

bjkeefe
03-23-2008, 04:43 PM
EW:

I couldn't agree with you more. A highly instructive and enjoyable diavlog, an impressive guest, and a nice job by Mark as interviewer.

One point that Parag made that exemplifies how many new things he gave me to think about concerned Turkey's intransigence regarding the US invasion of Iraq. Every explanation I had heard about this previously involved some combination of Muslim sympathies, the Kurdish issue, and proximity to the region. Parag's explanation of Turkey's reliance upon the EU was both new and immediately plausible. I'm not qualified to say how right it was, but the idea really made sense. Ditto his thoughts about Turkey modernizing in response to EU pressures, but maybe ultimately not joining up.

Can't wait to get his book. And yes, let's have him back.

I'd add that some of his thinking is probably really hard to take for the USA! USA! USA! crowd. What a pity. It will only make our transition from sole superpower that much harder to adjust to.

graz
03-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Mark and Parag.
I just reserved your book from my local library.
Sorry that won't necessarily funnel any dollars your way.
But I can support you here in the forum. I second the notion of asking you to return and flesh out the implications of what I am sure to grasp more clearly after reading your book. And upon your return to discuss more fully with Mark, the potential role of the U.N.
In line with Brendan's point about the likely sour grapes response to the premise of the U.S. sharing supremacy, the question of nuance returns again. Isn't it unpatriotic to even entertain the idea of a diminished us (USA).
So the world consists of more than us vs. them?
Remember, "A mind is a terrible thing."
Can you verify the rumor about you joining Obama's foreign policy team? And I hear Conn Carroll is willing to swear to it if Malkin and Hewitt get on board.
Headline: Obama's foreign policy team member says USA is less than #1.

bjk
03-23-2008, 07:56 PM
I read the NYTimes piece, and saw parts of this interview, and my impression is, this guy has nothing new to say. Is it really news that Turkey is more influenced by Europe than by the US? And so what? The EU and the growth of China and India are not news. I call poseur.

Bloggin' Noggin
04-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Via Andrew Sullivan, I came across this terrific review (http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2008/04/21/080421crat_atlarge_buruma?currentPage=all)-article by Ian Buruma. Parag Khanna's is among the books discussed. Here's the introductory bit about Khanna:

In its contempt for liberal democracy, Khanna’s “The Second World” would be refreshing if it were not so wrongheaded and so badly written: “Located at the mouth of the Yangtze River, Shanghai subsumes China’s best and brightest into a culture of doing in the way New Yorkers are known for, its first world urban culture and cosmopolitan design already earning it the status of a global hot spot.”

But read the whole article (http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2008/04/21/080421crat_atlarge_buruma?currentPage=all), it is well-written and very interesting.

look
05-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Via Andrew Sullivan, I came across this terrific review (http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2008/04/21/080421crat_atlarge_buruma?currentPage=all)-article by Ian Buruma. Parag Khanna's is among the books discussed. Here's the introductory bit about Khanna:
[QUOTE]In its contempt for liberal democracy, Khanna’s “The Second World” would be refreshing if it were not so wrongheaded and so badly written: “Located at the mouth of the Yangtze River, Shanghai subsumes China’s best and brightest into a culture of doing in the way New Yorkers are known for, its first world urban culture and cosmopolitan design already earning it the status of a global hot spot.”
You gotta wonder how that got past the editor. Thanks, BN, good article.