PDA

View Full Version : UN Plaza: A Way Forward in Iraq

Bloggingheads
03-15-2008, 10:55 PM

Eastwest
03-16-2008, 01:52 AM
So nice to have such intelligent comments on the most pressing of matters largely free of any of the political spin which would otherwise so thoroughly distort the realities.

Thanks,

EW

Namazu
03-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Good get, bhtv! As I've indicated in before, the bhtv brand is better served by having accomplished foreign policy practioners as guests than journalists who mine the Monkees back catalog for book titles.

grbch
03-16-2008, 06:07 PM
My concern with Thomas Pickering's proposal is that it is probably too late, that the Iraqi polity is too fractured and the number of militarily significant entities too great for successful negotiations.

Is there any recent historical precedent for simultaneous decentralized negotiations with a large number of combatant factions in the midst of a civil war?

The great danger for US long-term strategic interest is that some Iraqi faction will ally itself with some external power and control the petroleum revenue stream against US interest.

So-called conservatives in the US seem so intent on preserving domestic political viability that they are unwilling to admit failures or take actions to rectify those failures, that is, to benefit US national interest.

Pickering is to be commended for choosing national interest over factional interest. I suspect that the factionalists who currently run US government will be entirely hostile to his proposal in a presidential election year.