PDA

View Full Version : UN Plaza: The Reporter Becomes The News!

Bloggingheads
03-09-2008, 10:22 AM

JIM3CH
03-09-2008, 09:41 PM
No one wanted to be the first commenter on this one? I just would like to say welcome back to Matthew Lee. Whoever tried to get rid of him in UNDP has obviously only succeeded in heightening his zeal for sniffing out conspiracies. UN beware!

Wonderment
03-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Very fascinating stuff, as always.

Thanks to Mark and Matthew for their work and to BHeads for keeping us informed about the UN and for caring about the 99.9999999% of world affairs that does not revolve around the Obama-Clinton campaigns.

Zenislev
03-10-2008, 02:13 AM
About the Kosovo issue, i think it is a very interesting legal matter. There are a couple of points that should be pointed out:

- The issue of precedent. Clearly, other regions of the world might use this as an excuse for declaring their own independence, citing Kosovo as an example of their right toself-determination. And, the fact being that Kosovo was recognized by a handful of countries, their case is indeed a strong one. The other side of the coin is how the US is handling the issue. US representatives have been very careful to point out their perceived "exceptionality" of the issue, with the argument of Serbia losing the right to govern the region given their attempts to eliminate the kosovar population. It will be very interesting to follow the unfolding of this,

- the status of UNMIK. With Kosovo declaring independence, but the UN not being able to recognize it as new state, what happens with all the personnel and equipment? Is the mandate established in UNSC resolution 1244 still active even though Kosovo is potentially an independent country that does not need international supervision? Or you need a new resolution to terminate it, even though Rusia would probably veto any such thing?

my opinion, and i agree with Mark, is that the issue will be solved outside the UN, and that it will create a thaw in US-Russia relations. Eventually, Serbia will come to its senses and accept Kosovo's independence (with a huge check of the EU in the middle of it all).

Abu Noor Al-Irlandee
03-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Matthew Lee -- Still Awesome.

The enthusiasm and zeal with which Mr. Lee approaches the job of reporting is admirable and infectious, although also sometimes tiring to watch (or maybe I'm just old and lazy).

He's exactly the type of person you want investigating powerful institutions and the last person you'd want investigating you. I think that makes him an outstanding journalist, even if he may occasionally make decisions that are debatable.

I know he's been brought on bhtv due to his role in covering the UN, but I'd also love to see an opportunity sometime for him to opine on some other topics -- most especially on the lending industry and the subprime crisis.