PDA

View Full Version : UN Plaza: The Uganda Crisis

Bloggingheads
02-17-2008, 11:04 AM

dankingbooks
02-17-2008, 09:31 PM
This diavlog demonstrates the complete bankruptcy of the so-called "international community." The naivety of Julia Spiegel just beggars belief.

1. To say that Museveni took power in a "coup" is surely not accurate. It was an eight year civil war. Has she ever heard of the Luweero Triangle? Apparently not.

2. She, of course, blames British colonialism for everything. The Brits built what exists in modern Uganda - Mulago Hospital, Makerere University, a highway system, etc. They did not create tribal animosities in Uganda - quite the contrary. They tried, unsuccessfully, to ameliorate them as much as possible.

3. No history of the LRA is complete without mentioning Alice Lakwena (aka Alice Auma), a "spiritual leader" and the founder of the movement. The LRA is not, and never was an Acholi political movement. It has always been totally religious in motivation. Spiegel completely mis-characterizes them.

4. Spiegel claims not to know what Joseph Kony wants. I can tell her. I can tell her in one word: harem. He has a whole harem of young, abducted girls whom he keeps for himself, or whom he distributes to his mates as favors. All for the Greater Glory of God, of course. This, and only this, is the sum total of what today's LRA is about.

5. Somehow, Spiegel thinks that Kony might eventually surrender to the Ugandan authorities or to the ICC, in response to some political plum. Of course he will never do this - why should he? He has no interest in politics, and there is no harem in jail.

6. Spiegel, obscenely, blames the USA for not halting Kony by our invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. This is a slander. Saddam and his execrable sons ran a huge harem machine - far worse than anything Joseph Kony can even dream of - and we did Iraqis and the world a huge favor by getting rid of them. Further, no amount of attention or diplomacy is going to dislodge Joseph Kony - he has everything he wants right now. We have nothing to offer him.

7. But Spiegel does hint at the only real solution to this problem - the US Marine Corps. Sadly, they really do have bigger fish to fry. The notion that the Ugandan, Congolese, or SPLA armies are going to dislodge Kony is a pipe dream.

All of this just shows the complete bankruptcy and corruption of the United Nations and the International Community. According to Spiegel, they are even paying Kony off to attend stupid and useless peace talks! This is a scandal. They fly around the world, attend conferences in Davos, hire undisciplined, poorly armed Fijian troops to take all the risks, live in fancy houses on Kololo Hill in Kampala, and then blame the US Marine Corps for "atrocities" in Iraq. What a bunch of losers.

Beyond dramatically strengthening the Ugandan army and killing Kony and his closest circle, there is no solution to this problem.

My book, Naked in Haiti spoofs the typical UN crowd - though that's not what it is primarily about. It's mostly about sex and prostitution, but I repeat myself. www.dankingbooks.com (http://www.dankingbooks.com) will get you there.

Eastwest
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Very informative diavlog, for which thanks to both, btw.

But, as you might expect, if one cares about these things (and we should), the realities exposed by the diavlog are depressing as hell as they don't really give much basis for hope that this tragic situation will be resolved or that the victimized innocent will be protected from yet more needless suffering.

Consequence: The drip-drip-drip slow-motion saga of the international community's limp-wristed response to dealing with the powers holding local leverage ends up seeming like an excruciating endless-episode sick entertainment presented by mainstream media on the First World's big-screen-TV "Africa Channel."

Effect: Mind-numbing tune-out. I'd call it "compassion-fatigue," but that would infer that we ever really tried to do anything about it, but then grew tired of failed efforts. What to say when it seems no genuine effort was ever really invested?

EW

TwinSwords
02-18-2008, 09:46 AM
I'd call it "compassion-fatigue," but that would infer that we ever really tried to do anything about it, but then grew tired of failed efforts. What to say when it seems no genuine effort was ever really invested?
Ongoing indifference?

Allan
02-19-2008, 03:22 AM
Has Matthew Lee disappeared from Bloggingheads as well?

Journalist Who Exposes U.N. Corruption Disappears From Google (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331106,00.html)

bjkeefe
02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Allan:

Thanks for the link. That seems like an important story, and if true, a damned shame.

I don't think Matthew has been disappeared from BH.tv, though -- the UN weekly diavlog has been trying to expand its roster for some time now, and we know the Bob Wright would never knuckle under to political pressure. (Except in the case of thin-skinned potential guests, of course.) Or so I hope.

I also hope Matthew comes back soon. It'd be good to hear more about this story. Meantime, let's keep an eye on this, and see if Google returns him to their news results.

JIM3CH
02-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Very interesting info about Matthew Lee. I too would be happy to see his return to BHtv. I really enjoy his unbridled enthusiasm.

piscivorous
02-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks, and glad you like BH TV, I do too. Just wanted to let you know, as
of midnight Inner City Press appears to be back in Google News, while they
didn't go back and include the articles for the last 7 days which were
excluded, they started re-including the four uploaded tonight. So, back to
the questioning and reporting, thanks, -Matthew