PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Bloggingchefs: Liberal vs. Libertarian Rematch

Bloggingheads
02-13-2008, 10:51 PM

TwinSwords
02-13-2008, 11:51 PM
If Eli Lake hears what Ezra and Spencer are preparing, he will call in an Israeli air strike on their apartment.

Adds new meaning to the term "comfort food." More like "comfort to the enemy!"

Nate
02-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Spectacular! BloggingChefs was one of the greatest episodes last year. There need to be more competitions like this!

piscivorous
02-14-2008, 12:06 AM
As to the eco-friendliness of the various sides CO2 should not be only consideration as sheep (lamb) are ruminants and prone to producing methane (CH4) which is approximately 20 times the greenhouse effect, molecule for molecule, as CO2 so it is very likely the Libertarians wins the eco award.

Baltimoron
02-14-2008, 12:15 AM
1. I didn't need to see Will bleed. It's like karaoke and concerts-I prefer to watch pros.
2. More food-related talk, less politics. I went through this sort of thing when I was a waiter in college. All the heavy-carb food made me very happy after all-nighters and class, but I just wished the wine reps would have SHUT UP while I was eating! I found I could basically tell my customers anything and they would buy wine and food, and taste whatever they liked. And then, they left me wine or just offered me a glass at closing. But learning how to cook, or learning about foodstuffs would probably been easier to slice and dice without drawing blood.
3. Will needs to learn to cook before #3, or Megan needs a new partner.
4. Perhaps it's because ROK TV likes to air nationalistic cuisine programs at dinner time, I just hate watching food and people eating on camera.
5. Obama and Latinos: Obama did much better in the Potomac primary. Anomaly, perhaps, or the beginning of a trend? Maybe Latinos are listening.
6. I just found vegan women exasperating, because I was supposed to be just nice, instead of my comfort zone-jerk with nice moments and no homicidal tendencies. I've never known a sexy vegan, either! I think it requires protein.
7. There's nothing more annoying than watching people do what one can do just as well, and actually use all one's senses. Again, ROK (and Japanese) TV has plenty of people doing stupid activities most people do on picnics, church events, and with partners (and get laid for it!).

Baltimoron
02-14-2008, 01:05 AM
True, but ducks also produce methane. The culprit is production methods, not animal (http://www.organicagcentre.ca/ResearchDatabase/res_livestock_cowmethane.asp).

piscivorous
02-14-2008, 01:49 AM
it is true that the guano produced by foul is a concentrated source of methane, any body that has seen Mad Max knows this, but ducks mature faster than sheep (speculation I'm too lazy to look it up) and probably on average consume considerably less feed, they have less body mass to accumulate and maintain, so probably produce less methane from date of birth to date of harvest than sheep. While I'm not sure if foul in general produce flatus lambs due releasing both CO2 and methane directly to the atmosphere for the life of the animal as well as that from their manure.

Tao Jones
02-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Interesting subject as I was preparing my Vvalentine's Day Feast prior to watching this (the extra "v" is for vegan*). Ironically enough, I'm making seitan steaks (approximately pronounced "say-tahn", btw). I've never made it before, and it's a total pain in the ass, so let's hope it turns out well. I'm making vanilla-scented poached pears for desert, and I, too, had a hard time finding fresh cranberries, so I had to settle for frozen.

Anyway, too bad this couldn't have aired earlier. It has me thinking...

1) How's Megan's veganism going?

I had a New Years Resolution to go vegan, but I settled for eating "more vegan" after a week.

2) How important does Ezra think California's vote was now?

In the sense that the race is still on, more than usual, perhaps. But as the old saying goes, Yee-Haw! My Vote Cancels Out Y'all's! (http://www.theonion.com/content/opinion/yee_haw_my_vote_cancels_out)

*I'm not a vegan, but I gave my girlfriend a cookbook from New York's Candle Cafe, which I've been cooking from as much as she.

piscivorous
02-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Interesting read but then again it could be the termites (http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=4688505) http://bloggingheads.tv/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Baltimoron
02-14-2008, 02:55 AM
No one would hesitate to exterminate those critters, but lamb is another delicacy entirely. Just feed all the creatures grass, let them manure the grounds, and reduce the demand for other greenhouse-causing products, like fertilizer. Don't blame dinner, but the system that puts it on the table.

piscivorous
02-14-2008, 03:32 AM
... let them manure the grounds, and reduce the demand for other greenhouse-causing products, like fertilizer... If you drive west from Chicago into the remaining areas of farm land, during the spring planting season there will be no doubt in your mind that there is enough manure on the ground so as to lessen the need of more artificial means of stimulation, but rather an enhanced need of olfactory fortification. In general mother nature knows best but not every location is blessed with such natural bounty and require manufactured fertilizers to produce the volume of crops necessary to sustain the population that the world now supports. I have no problem with the goal of reducing greenhouse gas producing operations, be they farming, manufacturing, energy production and usage ..., to as great an extent as is cost effectively possible to do so. It is the definition of what is cost effectively possible that is debatable and this revolves around ones beliefs and opinions of what the effects of failing to do so will accrue.

Nate
02-14-2008, 03:54 AM
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/8745?in=00:34:35&out=00:35:55
I hope Will's finger is ok and didn't require serious medical attention! Hopefully we get an update in the next "Free Will" on how his hand is doing!

Bloggin' Noggin
02-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Does anyone remember this running gag in _Are You Being Served?_"? The pants are too long and Mr. Humphreys assures him "Don't worry sir, they will ride up with wear."

Why am I reminded of this every time someone on BloggingHeads says, "don't worry, this will all be edited out."

osmium
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
bloggingchef is the metal machine music of bloggingheads. yay!

AemJeff
02-14-2008, 03:53 PM
That the first positive(!) reference to Lou Reed's Minim Opus I've heard in twenty-five years or more. If I state that I've listened to all four sides, all the way through, I'm afraid that I'm revealing some deep character flaws - I doubt very much that even Reed has ever bothered to do that.

cragger
02-14-2008, 06:41 PM
It sometimes seems that our favorite libertarian diavlogers might be a bit more in touch with theories that sound nice in the abstract than with the real world. Now we learn that Will has trouble with the need to turn on the stove to boil water, and can't cut butter without slicing his finger!

Coincidence or clue? They cook you decide.

Fun to watch though. All four seem like great people to cook and have dinner with.

Andrya6
02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Loved it! But it would increase site traffic if the contestants posted some of the recipes! I'd love to make the brie-cherry tart.

1swellfoop
02-14-2008, 08:01 PM
This was wonderful, but recipes would make it better...

dudeman
02-16-2008, 04:45 PM
It's February, and the ground is frozen and covered in snow. What the heck am I supposed to eat now?