PDA

View Full Version : Enervatism and Liberaltarians

Bloggingheads
01-30-2008, 09:45 PM

samuelsd
01-30-2008, 10:16 PM
This one should be re-titled 'No-Contrast Edition'. Holy moly, I can barely stand to look at Noam's eerily floating head, with the only color on his half of the screen coming from the single blinking red light of his headset.

It's vaguely reminiscent of Matt and Ross's first diavlog, 'Blinded by the Light' (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/60), when Ross became progressively more brightly glowing as the hour wore on. Only less funny, and more likely to give me a migraine.

Back to podcast mode for this one...

basman
01-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Just to say what a pleasure this was to listen to: people speaking in sentences, thoughtful, insightful, informed, striking no poses, and so on, especially compared to the train wreck that was Jon Fine & Choire Sicha.

Eastwest
01-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Though not usually that enthusiastic about "inside baseball" on political horse races, there's at least an honest and focused attempt at nuanced discussion here. Requires close listening. Three interesting (to me) nuggets:

1) On the intellectual bankruptcy of modern conservative stratagems. (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/8445?in=00:15:45&out=17:03)

2) On the supposed "latent liberal majority." (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/8445?in=00:48:26&out=49:00)

3) On the doomed Obama vision of transpartisan nirvana. (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/8445?in=00:49:28&out=50:11)

(These are all from Brink. Noam had some trenchant thoughts too.)

Sick to death of politics. But at least this is an intelligent political discussion not so freighted with foolish dreams, delusions, or brain-dead media hyping.

EW

Eastwest
01-31-2008, 01:53 AM
Re Basman's:
...what a pleasure this was to listen to: people speaking in sentences, thoughtful, insightful, informed, striking no poses, and so on, especially compared to the train wreck that was Jon Fine & Choire Sicha...

Gotta second that!

So nice to have complete thoughts strung together in malas of meaning, uncluttered by dozens and dozens of mantra-chant "you-know" punctuations.

EW

TwinSwords
01-31-2008, 03:12 AM
3) On the doomed Obama vision of transpartisan nirvana. (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/8445?in=00:49:28&out=50:11)

I'm not big on bipartisanship, for reasons I won't both getting into except to say (1) it's a pipe dream, and (2) I don't think we should be making accomodations with bankrupt moral philosophies.

And yet, I can see one use of Obama's pose of transpartisan nirvana: When the Republicans gut him like a small fish and turn his insides out onto the pavement, it will further anger and mobilize the left and the center that invested so many hopes in Obama, and help to marginalize the rightwing.

We all know Clinton's popularity peaked during the period when (1) Lewinsky's name was disclosed by Drudge, (2) Ken Starr leaked Clinton's videotaped grand jury testimony in hopes of creating a firestorm that would engulf his presidency and save Starr the trouble of recommending impeachement, and (3) The US House of Representatives voted to impeach the president in what was little more than a coup attempt on the less-than-paper-thin pretext of outrage over extramarital sex extramarital sex that two Republican Speakers of the House were concurrently enjoying themselves.

This was also the crucible Hillary Clinton's Senate career was made.

What we learned in those days was that the foaming-at-the-mouth rightwing, despite controlling cable news and talk radio, only represent about 24% of the population. That leaves Obama with a generous 70% or so to work with.

So, if Obama holds his head up and tries to bring the country together, only to be kneed in the groin by Rush Limbugh, smashed in the teeth by Fox News, clubbed on the back of the head by Glenn Beck, stabbed in the gut by .... well, you get the idea.

The blows will all reflect back on themselves. They will bulid the fire that will consume them. In fact, they already have. Look at the damage they have done to themselves in the last 14 years (since Gingrich), and especially the last 7 (since the Supreme Court). We just have to make sure we keep the fire burning until the last fuel of conservatism is finally spent.

bramble
01-31-2008, 03:20 AM
I enjoyed this diavlog, but it started me thinking that a lot of the more wonky diavlogs on BHTV, including this one, are comprised of an abstract, poli-sci discourse. Specifically, there tends to be a lot of talk about public opinion polls and ideological contradictions within the political parties, but I'd like to hear some discussion about the circumstances on the ground that might be causing the political instabilities and realignments. A debate about the relevance of income inequality on our politics is an example of what I'm talking about here.

On a related tangent, I'd like to see a couple of Iraqi War veterans debate the surge and the ongoing situation in Iraq. People like Eli Lake and Heather Hurlburt are good at talking about Iraq in broad, ideological concepts. These are important conversations, but I think vets could add some unique specificity to the the debate.

Chicago Jim
01-31-2008, 05:41 AM
Lots of White! Did Noam tape this somewhere in heaven?

Namazu
01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
That's not heaven, that's The New Republic, silly!

Bloggin' Noggin
01-31-2008, 01:22 PM
This one should be re-titled 'No-Contrast Edition'. Holy moly, I can barely stand to look at Noam's eerily floating head, with the only color on his half of the screen coming from the single blinking red light of his headset.

I thought the effect was very artistic. Noam served as his own avatar -- very witty, very PoMo.

On the other hand, it would be a brilliant way to hide extra pounds....

Anyway, it was interesting to finally find out what Noam Scheiber looks like (or his disembodied face, anyway).

Good discussion, too.

JLF
02-01-2008, 12:00 AM
If only this were so.

piscivorous
02-01-2008, 01:50 AM
What we learned in those days was that the foaming-at-the-mouth rightwing, despite controlling cable news and talk radio, only represent about 24% of the population. That leaves Obama with a generous 70% or so to work with.
I don't know where you get the 24% figure from, as with most of your claimed facts you never provide a reference, but it doesn't jive with any data I've seen. While it is not the exact link I was looking for this one contains a link to a pretty detailed survey of political demographics in America (http://www.plantingliberally.org/taxonomy/term/10).
For a long time, I've assumed that creating the kind of ideological change that will result in parity between progressives and conservatives (http://us.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/states/US/H/00/epolls.0.html) is going to be a mammoth task. That's largely because ideological self-identification in exit polls has produced pretty steady results for a long time - about 33% of the electorate identifies as conservative, 20% as liberal, and the remaining 47% as moderate.