View Full Version : Best Diavlog Ever

Bloggingheads
01-29-2008, 11:36 PM

osmium
01-30-2008, 12:30 AM
ramones shirt = best diavlog ever.

Eastwest
01-30-2008, 03:42 AM
Aside from the very tedious "ya-know," repeated, what, a couple thousand times?, nice peek into a somewhat goofy modern subculture after a long section on the underbelly of political campaigns in progress.

This one's OK if you have time on your hands with unavoidable chores wherein no intellectual productivity can otherwise be gained, but for God's sake, don't just sit down and listen to it for its sheer potency, for there really isn't much "there" there.

But here, let me save you some time. A couple DLs with nice reflections on human nature:

1) On "the town (NY) sport" and the drone headset which tends to accompany it: http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/8420?in=01:04:15&out=01:05:07

2) On the pursuit of excellence in literary craft: http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/8420?in=01:09:51&out=01:10:19

(If anyone would care to instruct me on how to shrink my DL format to pithy highlighted words like "here," or "this," I could start making these tediously long posts mercifully short.)

EW

Nate
01-30-2008, 04:00 AM
These dudes are way interesting.

allbetsareoff
01-30-2008, 04:47 AM
You should've titled this one "herding cats."

Baltimoron
01-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Choire Sicha is visually profligate.

Mickey Kaus' "Tom Cruise" spoof is classic, and Wright studiously plays with his eyes, but Sicha is a deadpan natural who can overshadow the other 'head. It's rare I even look at the screen nowadays. Sicha is a throwback to when divas used cigarettes to flirt.

Actually, the one insight I could pry from the noise of construction equipment and koffeeklatch "chat" was, that daily news and "gotcha" outlets are not useful necessarily if they don't connect the dots more thoughtfully.

And then, I just drove icepicks into my ears!

bjkeefe
01-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Eastwest:

(If anyone would care to instruct me on how to shrink my DL format to pithy highlighted words like "here," or "this," I could start making these tediously long posts mercifully short.)

The following is general for all links, including dingalinks.

Highlight (select) the word(s) you want to turn into a link and click the hyperlink icon in the editor toolbar -- the one that looks like a planet, next to the U icon. You'll get a pop-up window; into that window type (or paste) the URL you want your highlighted word or phrase to link to.

Alternately, you can type in markup tags yourself. Here's an example:

See here (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode) for more information on vBulletin tags.

This should render as:

See here (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode) for more information on vBulletin tags.

Note that the markup tags are not case-specific, but whitespace is important. I don't know the exact rules, but generally, don't have any blank spaces around the equals sign or around the text that is to become the link. Note also that double quotes must surround the specific url itself, and don't forget the slash in the closing tag.

Using the "Preview" button will save you some grief, but you can always edit your post after submitting it.

HTH.

Oh, and as far as worrying about lengthy posts? Don't. Despite the impression given by Jon and Choire, there are still some people left on the planet who believe more is sometimes more. I am one of those people, and as a careful reading of these forums should make clear, my rulings on matters of taste are beyond dispute.

Eastwest
01-30-2008, 08:13 AM
On BJ's:
my rulings on matters of taste are beyond dispute.
a) Thanks for the technical assistance;
b) Glad to know I got it from THE unimpeachable source.

EW

mojomojo
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
This Diavlog is fantastic--not for the actual discussion, which is too Inside Baseball, but because of the background. Fine's mass of records, Ramones tee, and the endless hammering and Sicha's smoking and eye rolling add much needed texture to these discussions. Learn from Hollywood Diavlogers--setting and sound matter (and smoking just looks cool on camera).

beren
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
It is so jarring to see people smoke on BloggingHeads. This isn't the first time - others have smoked in the past. Are bloggers somehow given to tobacco addiction? This is so weird.

I don't know ANYBODY who smokes in real life. I guess people must smoke because the tobacco companies are still in business. But it seems invisible. Except the blogging heads, who smoke like it is something they do every day.

Nobody ever smokes on Meet the Press.

threep
01-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Beren: it turns out that people smoke.

Joel_Cairo
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't know ANYBODY who smokes in real life. I guess people must smoke because the tobacco companies are still in business. But it seems invisible. Except the blogging heads, who smoke like it is something they do every day.

I bet nobody you know voted for Nixon either.

ogieogie
01-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah um uh that was um you know um I mean utterly um you know unlistenable um to...

piscivorous
01-30-2008, 02:11 PM
You know you should get out every once in awhile and embrace life. You might find the diversity interesting. then again maybe not.

Wonderment
01-30-2008, 04:00 PM
It may seem that smokers are disproportionately represented on BHTV when compared to the graduate-school-educated US population at large. But who knows? Can somebody do the math?

My guesstimate is that 15% of BHeads smoke. My hunch is that it breaks down along political lines too, with rightwingers smoking more than progressives.

Have we ever seen a female Bhead smoke?

You can't compare to Meet The Press or any TV show where smoking s surely banned. Remember, participants in BH are often in their own homes.

piscivorous
01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
You may be right about "...graduate-school-educated US population at large." but estimates for the general population run from 20-30%. If the demographics of the BH.tv viewers is as good as Mr Wright claims (I've seen no data myself) and that the commenters are not lying then your 15% guess might be right.

basman
01-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Waste of time.

evolve17
01-31-2008, 01:09 AM
Total waste of time.

evolve17
01-31-2008, 01:19 AM
this is horrible

bkjazfan
01-31-2008, 04:01 PM
What was that diavlog about? Choire seemed young and immature. Please, keep him off and until he grows up some.

Wonderment
01-31-2008, 04:16 PM
I won't say it was entirely devoid of interest, but on the Wonderment Interest Scale of 1-10, it's a .01, and as others posters have pointed out, the interesting part was the smoking and grimacing, not the content.

bkjazfan
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Eli Lake is the only other one I've seen smoking on here. I may have missed some though. As a former smoker it is a bad habit and for some very difficult to quit. I know Eli is conservative but am clueless to where Choire would fit on a left, right spectrum.

recusancy
02-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Bloggingheads style.