PDA

View Full Version : DC Elites Discuss Average Voters

Bloggingheads
01-14-2008, 09:12 PM

zookarama
01-15-2008, 02:12 AM
After saying that I really enjoyed the discussion, I have to wonder if these two have worked out an arrangement with Bob wherein they would be paid by the word. I'd reckon that a 1 hr diavlog with Ezra and Peter contained twice as many words as a 1 hr Loury/Cohen session. Anyway, lots to think about with this one. Bravo, boys.

Nate
01-15-2008, 02:44 AM
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/8037?in=00:27:00&out=00:27:15 Speaking as a "true" Southerner (from Arkansas and also Atlanta, Georgia), the panhandle of Florida is most definitely NOT the "South" as Peter claims.

Magic Flea
01-15-2008, 04:03 AM
After saying that I really enjoyed the discussion, I have to wonder if these two have worked out an arrangement with Bob wherein they would be paid by the word. I'd reckon that a 1 hr diavlog with Ezra and Peter contained twice as many words as a 1 hr Loury/Cohen session. Anyway, lots to think about with this one. Bravo, boys.
Twice as many words and half as much content.

Wonderment
01-15-2008, 04:10 AM
The best part was the reference to the Chris Hayes article on swing voters -- a gem which I otherwise would never have discovered.

beren
01-15-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm from Pensacola, and I disagree. The Panhandle is proudly, obstinately, and undeniably Southern in culture.

bjkeefe
01-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Speaking as a "true" Southerner (from Arkansas and also Atlanta, Georgia), the panhandle of Florida is most definitely NOT the "South" as Peter claims.

I had always heard that, at least in political terms, southern Florida was "Northern," and northern Florida was "Southern."

What makes the panhandle not part of your definition of the South?

bjkeefe
01-15-2008, 06:32 AM
The best part was the reference to the Chris Hayes article on swing voters -- a gem which I otherwise would never have discovered.

Agreed. As depressing as it was, that was a good read.

bkjazfan
01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Both of these young men talk a lot but what are they saying? They are just young intellectuals spouting off where as Cohen and Loury are accomplished adults who have been around awhile and know of what they speak.

Nate
01-15-2008, 12:56 PM
I had always heard that, at least in political terms, southern Florida was "Northern," and northern Florida was "Southern."

What makes the panhandle not part of your definition of the South?
I was just trying to stir things up. People get defensive about the culture they claim. I have friends from Florida who consider themselves "southern" and others who would be highly offended if you considered them "southern". I hypothesized that I could offend at least 50% of Floridians with my above statement. ;) (probably much a much higher percentage of panhandlers)

garbagecowboy
01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Good to see you're still alive, Nate. I thought the bh.tv death squads had taken you out.

Nate
01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Good to see you're still alive, Nate. I thought the bh.tv death squads had taken you out.
I managed to escape their clutches, but just barely.

JLF
01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I was stationed at Eglin AFB (Ft. Walton Beach, FL) for a little more than two years, and we referred to the area as LA, as in Lower Alabama. A lot of that has changed since the buildup of the Gulf coast, but the truth of the Panhandle as Southern still applies to the small hamlets that line I-10, with the exceptions of cities like Pensacola, Tallahassee and Jacksonville. The South still exists, but only outside the big cities, the seaboard and away from the various Interstate highways.

Thus Spoke Elvis
01-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd is from Jacksonville. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynyrd_Skynyrd

garbagecowboy
01-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Also according to Wikipedia they went to Robert E. Lee high school in Jacksonville... I think if your high school is named after anyone associated with the Confederacy it's pretty fair to say you're in the South.

Hoofin
01-17-2008, 11:40 AM
I am trying to figure out if "Slavish", as it was pronounced, has some sort of reference to the ethnic group of Slavs of Eastern Europe.

It is not clear to me that that is a particularly devoted group, unless you are talking about the veneration of the Blessed Virgin Mary or something.

bjkeefe
01-17-2008, 06:29 PM
I am trying to figure out if "Slavish", as it was pronounced, has some sort of reference to the ethnic group of Slavs of Eastern Europe.

Heh. I caught that, too. I wondered if it was an instinctive revulsion against pronouncing it as "slave-ish."

Hoofin
01-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Heh. I caught that, too. I wondered if it was an instinctive revulsion against pronouncing it as "slave-ish."

Ezra said it that way a couple of times, which made me think I've been pronouncing it wrong all these years. But no one ever corrected me.

I know that etymologically the words Slav and slave are related. At least I hope what I learned in Latin class wasn't an urban legend of sorts (no pun on urb BTW).

bjkeefe
01-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Hoofin:

No, I'm pretty sure it's a long A sound. Further confirmation here (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/slavish) and here (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/slavishly).

I think Ezra just used a word that he really only knows from print. Happens to me all the time.