PDA

View Full Version : Silver Screen Edition

Bloggingheads
01-11-2008, 01:35 AM

bjkeefe
01-11-2008, 06:15 AM
The political diavlog equivalent of talking about Juno for half an hour would be talking about Hillary's teary moment for forty days and forty nights. Let me never again hear anyone complain that diavlogs about "the horserace" are boring.

In fairness, I did not watch to the end. I gave out upon hearing the sad news that (they thought) Into the Wild was a bad movie. Too bad; I liked the book a lot. I'm not sure why Chris and Ross couldn't have just recalled "Men On Film" and moved on to something else.

So, I'll remind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homey_D._Clown#M) them: "Hated it!"

donroberto
01-11-2008, 06:54 AM
The entire premise of Knocked Up was centered on the unlikelihood of a love relation between this impossibly gorgeous woman and a relatively unattractive stoner shlub who had a good deal of innocent charm and natural humor.

Popular American culture, in movies, television and elsewhere, is rife with "odd couples", commonly consisting of the smart, attractive woman married to the average looking dunderheaded husband. You can start at King of Queens, going backwards in time to The Honeymooners, to Blondie and Dagwood and beyond.

Knocked Up was a story of two people as surprised of the unlikely developing love affair as anybody, including the audience. As both characters discovered each other, they discovered something of themselves. She saw something honest and decent and caring in him, and he grew into the person that she saw and fell in love with.

So don't knock Knocked Up. I loved it.

BrendanM
01-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Is it my browser? The last 2 diavlogs run at speed that is almost comic. Is bloggingheads using that technology used for radio that cuts out filled pauses between words? PLEASE dial it down a bit; it's hard to focus on what they say when one is stunned by the amazing speed of their delivery!

graz
01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
bjkeefe:[QUOTE]The political diavlog equivalent of talking about Juno for half an hour would be talking about Hillary's teary moment for forty days and forty nights. Let me never again hear anyone complain that diavlogs about "the horserace" are boring.

It's not so much that the "the horserace" banter is boring, as that after thirty minutes of Blah Blah on Juno, you learn nothing that spending a little additional time and money by actually watching the film would have provided. And I say realistically and entertainingly so. Because abortion is so hot-button, had Juno terminated her pregnancy, we would likely have preachers and pundits decrying the message and asking for a boycott. Probably without ever even viewing the film. I simply fail to see the significance of answering whether Juno or Knocked Up constitute a bellwether or shift in our culture. What is more fundamental than "to be or not to be."

Dee Sharp
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
1. It's hard to watch a movie while cleaning the living room and looking for a circuit breaker.

2. The cost of a movie represents my entire liquid assets at the moment.

Besides, Bloggingheads exists because some people get off on conversations that would bore most of humanity to death. This one did it for me.

Baltimoron
01-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Movie reviewers are staples in newspapers, so bhTV just have to find the right pair. Reviews also function best if you can spend less time and money watching them than going to the theater. Relatedly, a reviewer should tell me why I shouldn't just rent or buy the DVD, consult Amazon's reviews, or read a book anyway. It's cheaper and usually more informative to blog, read a book, play basketball, or do yoga with your life partner. And if you can have sex at the same time, it's better than a theater or home entertainment.

uncle ebeneezer
01-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Brendan, most of my friends (who have similiar taste to me) say the Into The Wild was excellent. Your taste usually seems to be generally close to mine from what I recall, so maybe don't write that one off yet. It was one of my favorite books, as well so I still want to see it either way.

I love the movie reviews idea and think it would be a great monthly segment. Maybe get a reviewer from the Nation and one from WSJ or something like that so that they both have somewhat political opinions to apply to the discussions. Or maybe get some current 'Heads who take an interesting in pop culture to agree to do it.

Unfortunately I have seen almost none of the big movies this year. I did see Atonement, because it was based on one of my favorite novels. It was pretty excellent as far as interpreting the novel, but the film got a little sappy in the romance department. The book was much edgier. Still worth seeing.

I've also heard raving reviews of There Will be Blood, and mixed ones for No Country…for what it's worth.

bjkeefe
01-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Uncle Eb:

I wouldn't mind an occasional movie-focused diavlog if that's what other people want, but I don't go to see first-run movies that much anymore, so I'm not going to vote in favor of this proposal. Abstaining is the best I can offer. In any case, I doubt I'd care for a half-hour discussion of any movie, especially if the issue at hand is one that's as thoroughly worked over as the abortion issue or the war in Iraq.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on Into The Wild. That's good to hear, although I tend to avoid movies adapted from books I've liked. Apart from The Silence of the Lambs, I can't think of one that didn't disappoint me.

Pardon my curmudgeonliness.