PDA

View Full Version : New weekly "show" suggestions

Joel_Cairo
01-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm loving the way Bob is expanding the BHTV Brand with all these properties (This Week in Blog, Free Will, McArdle on McArdle etc). Anybody have other ideas for regular segments? They could be weekly or bi weekly or whenever Mickey deigns to make time, doesn't matter really.

Personally, I'd like to see Yglesias & Douthat as much as possible. Gotta have a snappy name though, something playing off their beards and their common employer ("Pirates of the Atlantic"?)

anybody else?

EDIT: that Yglesias/Douthat idea just made me think of something else. Physical resemblance really should be a bigger consideration when the match-ups are arranged. John Chait & Mark Schmitt comes to mind as a good one. I really don't think enough advantage is taken of the potential for hilarity inherent in the format of two people talking for an hour, juxtaposed in two static frames on the screen. Why don't we get more sight-gags like this classic (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/33?in=20:57&out=21:20)?

bjkeefe
01-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Joel:

No good ideas at the moment, but I wanted to acknowledge two really funny things from your post: the sight gag and McArdle on McArdle.

I'm still laughing.

TwinSwords
01-09-2008, 12:28 AM
How about a show where you read a chapter a week from Bob's book!? ;-)

But seriously, good question!

I would like to see regular diavlogs about Constitutional Law. Maybe Jack Balkin, future Supreme Court Chief Justice, could be the host? Or Rosa Brooks?

TwinSwords
01-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Joel:

No good ideas at the moment, but I wanted to acknowledge two really funny things from your post: the sight gag and McArdle on McArdle.

I'm still laughing.

LOL! Me, too. I never saw that episode before. Thanks for posting it, Joel!

TwinSwords
01-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Speaking of Jack Balkin, he finally updated his blog with this excellent post:

The End of Reaganism, or, Three Cheers for the Great Destroyer (http://balkin.blogspot.com/2008/01/end-of-reaganism-or-three-cheers-for.html)

garbagecowboy
01-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Neuroscience Sundays
The Business of Sports

This is all I can think of right now...

bjkeefe
01-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I thought of one idea I had either proposed or agreed with earlier: a regular diavlog on computer science, perhaps offered as a double feature with "Science Saturday."

Probably this is not a wish shared by a majority of the forum members, though.

DisturbingClown
01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
How about Monodrone, a weekly monovlog in which Bob peevishly whines for what seems like hours about whatever non-issue he's spasmodically clung to that week?

:)

I could dig more science in general. Maybe a dedicated culture show? Hey, Ann Althouse is interested in culture. I know because she's told me so. Bleh.

Hoofin
01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I want more in depth about how Obama is going to transform the country.

garbagecowboy
01-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh yea, I thought that was an idea that came out of a discussion between me and Wolfgangus... "Computer Science Sunday" was the name I came up with it.

johnmarzan
01-10-2008, 09:46 PM
This Week in the NBA featuring
Truehoop (Henry Abbott) and ESPN's Bill Simmons

Stephen Kaus vs. Mickey Kaus

Entertainment/Hollywood News
Rob Long vs. (whoever from entertainment business, or Mickey kaus)

bjkeefe
01-10-2008, 11:43 PM
This Week in the NBA featuring
Truehoop (Henry Abbott) and ESPN's Bill Simmons

Stephen Kaus vs. Mickey Kaus

Entertainment/Hollywood News
Rob Long vs. (whoever from entertainment business, or Mickey kaus)

Three good suggestions. The second one is a near-universal desire, I think.

The first may not be of global interest to the BH.tv regulars, but I'd like to see it, or perhaps, a more broadened version, to cover other sports as well.

The third could be good with the right people. Is Rob Long that guy who diavlogged with Mickey about the writers' strike? If so, he'd get my vote.

johnmarzan
01-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Three good suggestions. The second one is a near-universal desire, I think.

The first may not be of global interest to the BH.tv regulars, but I'd like to see it, or perhaps, a more broadened version, to cover other sports as well.

The third could be good with the right people. Is Rob Long that guy who diavlogged with Mickey about the writers' strike? If so, he'd get my vote.

the nba is the most popular american pro sports assosiation outside the US. it is the second most popular sport in the world, behind soccer.

and yes, rob long is the guy who diavlogged with mickey. great chemistry between the two. i hear he's one of two or three republican writers working in hollywood right now.

bjkeefe
01-11-2008, 12:14 AM
John:

I should have made it more clear that basketball is my favorite sport, too. I was just suggesting a way to add some appeal to your suggestion, since I don't think you and I are with the majority of the BH.tv people on this one.

garbagecowboy
01-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Matt Yglesias would be a good b'head to have on for a basketball-centric diavlog. I agree with you, though, Brendan, that limiting it to basketball would probably be a little too niche. However, a twice-monthly sports diavlog that went beyond the typical ESPN bullshit would be very nice; there are quite a few interesting topics that are not touched by ESPN or newspaper sports sections that would lend themselves quite well to the bh.tv format, I believe.

I suppose the bloggingheads.tv demographic skews heavily away from people interested in sports, but I still think it is a good idea. I would say that the whole premise of bloggingheads.tv is to provide in-depth examination of issues that tend to get neglected in the frantic and inane modern media cycle. Much the same could be said of sports coverage, too, where you have basically one major national TV channel discussing sports whose coverage of the sports world is shallow and lame (to wit: Sportscenter's awful "Who's Now?!?!" series), and where most professional writers on sports are often clueless and write horrible articles (see www.firejoemorgan.com for some of the most egregious examples). The only thing close to intelligent analysis of many of the issues in sports that goes beyond who will win the next playoff game was ESPN's "The Sports Reporters" which was not even that great, and would probably be topped by a bloggingheads episode on sports.

It would be a niche diavlog, I admit, but then again so are the ones about the United Nations or arms control or philosophy. If they could get some really intelligent sports people (I suggested Mark Shapiro, but I could name a bunch of others, like Nate Silver or anybody else from baseballprospectus.com, or Matt Yglesias for basketball, etc.) to discuss sports from a little bit of a remove from the day-to-day which team is best horserace mentality of ESPN I think it would be a very nice addition to the growing bloggingheads media empire.

Some sample topics for what I would like in a sports diavlog would be: parity in the different leagues-- how and why they differ; the often bizarre labor relations in the sports industry where some of the most talented, in-demand professionals in the world are still unionized; the effects on college and pro basketball of the increasing prevalence of the best players either skipping college entirely or spending only a year or two playing in college; the problems associated with teams (particularly in baseball) that play in smaller media markets; the long-term risks posed to football players by concussions and other injuries the culture surrounding the sport which rewards athletes who "play through the pain" of these injuries which have long-term consequences for their physical and cognitive health; the long-term decline of certain sports which once were the most popular in the U.S. such as boxing and horse-racing; the media phenomenon of NASCAR and how it is largely ignored by the mainstream sports media despite being one of the most profitable sports enterprises in the country. I could go on, but this would be the type of coverage I think some intelligent sports-bloggers could bring to the table and would be quite interesting.

bjkeefe
01-11-2008, 01:27 PM
There's a good example of the kind of approach that might be taken if we wanted to try a regular sports-focused diavlog: NPR does a thing called "The Business of Sports," a weekly conversation on All Things Considered between Stefan Fatsis (of the WSJ) and one of the ATC hosts.

NPR, I'd be willing to bet, has a large number of regular listeners who don't particularly care about sports, at least down to the level of box scores and speculations about possible trades. But this feature picks out issues or news items or human interest items that are different from the arcana that only fans want to hear about, and it seems to work pretty well.

Baltimoron
01-11-2008, 11:58 PM
I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't like these "shows". I prefer maximal shuffling of pairs, because i think people work better when paired with different people and in new situations. I just worry about the quality. Perhaps a few shows are fine, but I would hold the number done. I would also open the gates to mew faces wider.

Baltimoron
01-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Also, bhTV could become like TNR/NRO TV's "What's Your Problem?" with Beinart and Goldberg. And then, I'd have to make myself deaf.

TwinSwords
01-12-2008, 07:25 AM
I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't like these "shows". I prefer maximal shuffling of pairs, because i think people work better when paired with different people and in new situations. I just worry about the quality. Perhaps a few shows are fine, but I would hold the number done. I would also open the gates to mew faces wider.

I think you may have a point. Unfortunately, I think this train's a'rollin'. But your concerns seem valid to me; I'm afraid it could crowd out time for the fare that made BHTV great in the first place. Then again, there's no reason why they can only post one diavlog a day. If there are enough people willing to contribute, maybe they could still do the same amount of standard fare while simply expanding the range of choices.

Guess we'll have to see how it plays out.

TwinSwords
01-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Good Lord, you aren't kidding!

Baltimoron
01-13-2008, 12:15 AM
I've noticed diavlog times are coming down, too!

I guess that gives 'heads the time to debate with us!

Hoofin
01-13-2008, 10:51 AM
I would watch only if you could get Mike Gravel to do it.

thprop
01-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Brian Lamb gave up doing Booknotes on C-Span in 2004 after 15 years and 800 shows. Maybe BH tv should pick up the franchise. I would love to see Sudhir Venkatesh (http://www.sociology.columbia.edu/fac-bios/venkatesh/faculty.html) talk about Gang Leader for a Day. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1594201501/ref=pd_sl_aw_open-1_book_42401700_4)

Trevor
02-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Not a weekly show, but I would love to see a diavlog between Elizabeth Warren (http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/warren-reports/) and Ross Douthat. She's a liberal Harvard Law School professor who writes about how our laws work against the interests of low-income Americans, he's a conservative Harvard graduate who writes about (http://www.amazon.com/Grand-New-Party-Republicans-American/dp/0385519435/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202596077&sr=1-1) how Republicans need to do more to appeal to the interests of lower-income Americans. It could be really, really good.

johnmarzan
03-10-2008, 12:05 AM
i hope mickey does another diavlog with rob long.

look
03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Heather to discuss foreign policy with various newsmakers and authors.

johnmarzan
04-05-2008, 09:10 AM
James Carville vs Karl Rove

Serpenthead vs. Turd Blossom

johnmarzan
04-15-2008, 07:20 AM
so when is blogginghead gonna invite people to talk about obama's gaffe? :)

look
04-15-2008, 07:37 AM

I would love to see pro-Obama Rosa and pro-Hillary Heather H. discuss the race.

bjkeefe
04-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Yeah, because apart from every TV talk show, every newspaper, and every blog in the nation, we haven't had any coverage of that. And it's soooooo important, isn't it?

johnmarzan
04-21-2008, 05:12 AM
matt yglesias and another political blogger doing the NBA for the duration of the playoffs.