PDA

View Full Version : In which I relinquish my right to decree diavlogs are good or bad

garbagecowboy
01-04-2008, 02:04 AM
I dunno if it's because people don't know or don't care... but each thread can be rated using the "rate this thread" tab in the vBulletin software.

Virtually all of the ratings of the diavlog threads you see are my opinion, because they are unranked (for weeks, in a few cases) before I decided to rank them and no one else votes.

If you vote with your feet and decide that you couldn't give a shit, I will happily continue to vote for which diavlogs I think are the best, and that will be the "boards" opinion. Just felt like saying... you know, if you're interested in quickly giving feedback on the general quality of a diavlog... it's 2 mouse-clicks away.

--Adam

bjkeefe
01-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Okay. I voted. Can I go now?

;^)

Wolfgangus
01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I trust your judgment, GC. I name you my representative in this matter. You have full authority to rank diavlogs on my behalf. But remember, with authority comes responsibility, so rate wisely, and if you get stuck, just ask yourself, WWWD? (One answer to that question is contained in this post: Delegate the decision to someone else.)

garbagecowboy
01-04-2008, 12:33 PM
OK... what joker gave this thread one star???

Brendan... I'm looking in your direction.

Come on, this thread is worthy of at least 4 or 5 stars.

bjkeefe
01-04-2008, 02:31 PM
OK... what joker gave this thread one star???

You could hardly expect me to pass up that opportunity! I am nothing if not cheap and obvious.

I noticed the star system when BH.tv first launched the new forums. My immediate reaction was a nose in the air: reactions to the diavlogs are too nuanced to be labeled with such a granular scheme.

My second thought was, "Wait. Are we voting on the diavlog, or the thread about the diavlog?" If the latter, then I thought, "How can you say until after it has spooled out for a while? And isn't it bordering on sockpuppetry to approve of a thread to which I contributed?"

My third thought was irritation. Something horrible shouldn't get a star, even just one. There should be icons for rolling eyes, a head banging on the desk, a puddle of sleep-induced drool, and a big ole stream of projectile vomit.

My final thought was to stop thinking about it. Until now, of course. For which I blame you.

garbagecowboy
01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
You could hardly expect me to pass up that opportunity! I am nothing if not cheap and obvious.

I noticed the star system when BH.tv first launched the new forums. My immediate reaction was a nose in the air: reactions to the diavlogs are too nuanced to be labeled with such a granular scheme.

My second thought was, "Wait. Are we voting on the diavlog, or the thread about the diavlog?" If the latter, then I thought, "How can you say until after it has spooled out for a while? And isn't it bordering on sockpuppetry to approve of a thread to which I contributed?"

My third thought was irritation. Something horrible shouldn't get a star, even just one. There should be icons for rolling eyes, a head banging on the desk, a puddle of sleep-induced drool, and a big ole stream of projectile vomit.

My final thought was to stop thinking about it. Until now, of course. For which I blame you.

Agreed on all counts. It is not clear even in theory what you are rating: the diavlog or the comments thread.

I do not support it, I just thought it was funny that nobody was giving any of the threads any rating whatsoever, so the ratings you see thus far have reflected me jokingly playing along with the built in ratings system. Corn and Pinkerton, again? 1 star! Bob and Mickey? 4 and a half gets rounded up to 5.

garbagecowboy
01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I trust your judgment, GC. I name you my representative in this matter. You have full authority to rank diavlogs on my behalf. But remember, with authority comes responsibility, so rate wisely, and if you get stuck, just ask yourself, WWWD? (One answer to that question is contained in this post: Delegate the decision to someone else.)

I accept the mandate from the bloggingheads.tv community to be The Decider. Thank you, all of you.

bjkeefe
01-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Adam:

I accept the mandate from the bloggingheads.tv community to be The Decider.

So, are you going to be rating the diavlogs or the threads?

garbagecowboy
01-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Adam:

So, are you going to be rating the diavlogs or the threads?

I will, like W., be doing whatever the hell I feel like, on a whim, with absolutely no rationale, accountability or transparency.

Thank you for asking!

bjkeefe
01-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I will, like W., be doing whatever the hell I feel like, on a whim, with absolutely no rationale, accountability or transparency.

Thank you for asking!

Argh. That's exactly what I was afraid of.

History will blame Wolf for his abdication.

Wolfgangus
01-04-2008, 07:31 PM

BJ, I think the W he is talking about is Dubya, not me.

History will blame Wolf for his abdication.

This is not abdication, but standard business practice. Keep other people busy making meaningless decisions and focus their attention on their internal mission (e.g. their organizational chart and work flow protocols and accounting practices), this gives you the time and raw materials you need to plot their corporate assassination.

BWA HA HA HA HA!

Hoofin
01-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I thought the latest approach was to plan on becoming a media sensation, with a book and mid-career electoral success.

Then round up a bunch of young people and others who have never been part of the process to fill events that would number no more than 2,000 people at most. It also would be good if you have something outwardly different about you. We're all the same, except we're different, too.

It helps if everyone in that controlled environment has already met your competition 16 years ago. They won't get as many visits or fans.