PDA

View Full Version : Electoral Violence

Bloggingheads
01-03-2008, 07:59 PM

Baltimoron
01-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Did Josh Hammer just convert from nascent neo-conservatism (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/7810?in=00:00:33) to reality? Perhaps as Graham E. Fuller in Foreign Policy argues, Islam is not that salient an issue, but rather tribalism et al (http://www.radicalcontrapositions.com/left_flank/2008/01/03/the-world-without-religion/). I also liked how he trumped Kaplan a bit with his "big man" theory, that dictators exacerbate divisions, not the other way around.

I don't recall where I read it, but once I read their was choice tribally between candidates, that the Luo had to win just to match all the western expectations about Kenyan democracy. The actual violence is surprising, but perhaps the same dynamic is at work.

Good start!

bjkeefe
01-04-2008, 10:52 AM
kidneystones:

I didn't see a way to post a comment over on Docudrama ;^), so I'll have to respond here. (If you want to extend this thread of conversation, maybe it'd be better to start a new thread in the General forum.)

Am I to understand that you don't like Obama principally because some Republicans do? If so, I must say that one of the things that appeals to me about Obama is the thought of not having to deal with Clinton-hatred for the next four years. I also think it might be a good thing for our country if people who recoil from the prospect of having to pick one side or the other had someone to get behind.

I have to say, the line of Obama's that you quoted ...

I won't tell you what you want to hear, I'll tell you what you need to know.

... came off quite nicely to my ears when I watched the speech (http://bjkeefe.blogspot.com/2008/01/cant-help-myself-must-post.html) itself. In context, and in the rhythm he had, it was a nice rhetorical flourish, and it was clear that his meaning was a promise to tell the truth to the American people. If you lift the line out of context, I grant that you can make it sound like something else. Maybe it would have been better as: "I won't tell you what you want to hear, I'll tell you what you need to know, and what you have every right to know."

I agree with you that I'd like to see some accountability regarding the Bushies. However, I don't see any Democratic president, and certainly not any of the likely candidates, pushing very hard for that. The way it'll happen, if it's to happen at all, will be in Congress. Maybe having a Dem in the White House, along with some gains in Congress, will help some of the cowards grow a spine and get behind Brother Waxman. I mean, even if the president were inclined to do a full investigation of the shenanigans of the past seven years, I can't think of a mechanism better suited than Congress. A special prosecutor just seems wrong -- the scope is too wide, and it seems to me that such an investigator would eventually be perceived as little more than the president's hatchet (wo)man.

Although ... now that I think about it, imagine Bill Clinton as Special Prosecutor Plenipotentiary ...

Dee Sharp
01-04-2008, 01:54 PM
These are my favorite new heads in some time.

uncle ebeneezer
01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Brendan, I couldn't agree with you more. For better or worse, personality matters in elections. I'm just glad we finally have somebody with a little sparkle on our side pushing some (if not all) of the ideas I care about. Maybe even getting some people from the other side to consider progressive ideas. After all, isn't that the bigger goal. I hope that compromise will soon be recognized as the real way to get things done in American politics (after all the country is split so it would logically be the best solution) but someone is going to have to lead the way.

Is there a way to change the "timeout" function on this forum. This is the third or fourth time I've written a lenghty response only to be logged out when I finally hit "submit" and lose everything I just wrote. It's really annoying because I don't have the patience to write it all over again.

bjkeefe
01-04-2008, 02:44 PM
uncle eb:

Is there a way to change the "timeout" function on this forum.

Outside of checking the "remember me" box when you log in, I can't think of anything that would apply. Did you do that?

Well, I can come up with a bluff answer, maybe. I suppose it could be that there is a timeout function (although not user-configurable except for turning it on or off as noted above), and the action of clicking "submit" is really the first interaction you have had with the server since clicking "reply" to begin your post; i.e., the page doesn't auto-refresh while you're hammering away in the editor window. So, to repeat, the only thing I can think to suggest is to make sure that you check "remember me." Oh, and maybe make sure you're not blocking cookies from this site -- I am vaguely aware that Internet Explorer sometimes seems to change its safety settings without explanation. But you're too cool to be using IE, I expect.

I don't usually have this problem, but once in a great while, I'll get logged out, although that hasn't happened in a while. My memory was that these occurrences correlated with some weird behavior on my part, like opening another post in a new tab while composing a reply.

Final thought, which I'm sure must have occurred to you: Get in the habit of keeping your favorite text editor open, and compose there, instead. Then it's just a simple matter of cut and paste, and even if the sessions times out or the browser crashes or whatever, you still have your words. If you're as big a fan of keyboard shortcuts as I am, you'll find that all of this requires no mousing whatsoever, after clicking the "reply" link.

Do things my way, and everything is better, is what I don't really mean to be saying.

bjkeefe
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
kidneystones:

I think I've already said what I had to say, but thanks for pointing me to your blog. I'll keep an eye on it for further matters upon which you need to be corrected. ;^)

piscivorous
01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Has Clinton recovered his law license since his plea bargain?

garbagecowboy
01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Do things my way, and everything is better, is what I don't really mean to be saying.

I think you've unintentionally hit upon a slogan for Obama '08 there, Brendan.

bjkeefe
01-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey, Pisc!

Long time no see! Welcome back.

bjkeefe
01-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Adam:

Touché.

piscivorous
01-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Been North to see the parents. Yes even we right wing fanatics love our parents.

bjkeefe
01-05-2008, 03:21 AM
pisc:

Been North to see the parents. Yes even we right wing fanatics love our parents.

Never thought you all didn't. I understand that you view taking away their Social Security as "tough love."

But seriously, good to see you back.

piscivorous
01-05-2008, 08:33 PM
My parents are some of the lucky ones. They have now lived into their 90s and have been the recipient of considerably more from the SS system than they contributed. We on the other hand will be lucky to break even and our progeny will have to pay dearly to even accomplish this.

P.S. thanks