PDA

View Full Version : Gala New Year's Edition, 2008

Bloggingheads
12-31-2007, 12:58 PM

rwraith
12-31-2007, 01:32 PM
It's new year's here in Malaysia. I'm completely, utterly smashed. And where do I decide to go to? Bloggingheads.tv!

*hugs Mickey and his moose*

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

bjkeefe
12-31-2007, 01:39 PM
You be the judge (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/7770?in=00:08:49&out=00:08:56)

threep
12-31-2007, 02:59 PM
That's two, mofos, though I'm not the official mascot like BlogginNoggin.

Bob, I am OG BloggingHeads. Complain too much and I WILL find the link to the "social kissing" rant. You will regret it.

Simon Willard
12-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Once again, Bob generously mentions the commenters, but I was struck by Mickey's metaphor that Andrew Sullivan has a "stable of great bloggers (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/7770?in=00:17:36&out=00:18:01)". I like the phrase. I think BHtv should claim to have a "stable" of commenters; thoroughbreds ready to run with an argument at a moment's notice.

garbagecowboy
12-31-2007, 03:23 PM
I like how Bob's festive holiday get-up is that of a Mormon missionary. How festive!

Ooga-Booga
12-31-2007, 03:31 PM
God bless the freaks.
Also, we're fucked.

ohcomeon
12-31-2007, 03:39 PM
I certainly hope Bloggingheads survives and prospers in the coming year. One thing in its favor is that it is free. If the economy crashes around us, as many are predicting, free entertainment will be more important than ever. Network TeeVee certainly can no longer offer solace on long nights at home eating peanut butter and Raman noodles.

On that frightening note, happy new year to all the ideologically diverse and yet usually cordial Blogging Head commentors! And especially happy new year to Bob for his hard work at keeping this community alive. Here's to Blogging Heads and second hand bookstores. We may need them both more than ever.

Simon Willard
12-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Today's New York Times article about Bloomberg's interest in entering the presidential race makes Bob's comments about party realignment timely if not prescient.

TwinSwords
12-31-2007, 04:13 PM
God these two are great (Bob and Mickey). What a great show they put on. Many thanks to both of them for the hours of enjoyable programming.

They have come such a long way. Remember that first episode (http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/1)?

Goodness, looking back, it appears Bob has lost some weight! Maybe it's just the light....

Anyway, here's wishing the Media Juggernaut finds more success in 2008!

garbagecowboy
12-31-2007, 04:21 PM
htp://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/7770

Man, 7770 diavlogs. Those just flew by. That's like 20 a day or so since the site started. I think I missed some of those.

thprop
12-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Dementia is is the progressive decline in cognitive function due to damage or disease in the brain beyond what might be expected from normal aging. Alzheimer's Disease (AD) is a cause of dementia. There are many other causes of dementia - Vascular dementia (also known as multi-infarct dementia), Lewy bodies, Frontotemporal lobar degenerations, Pick's disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, and many others. AD is the most common cause of dementia.

Unfortunately, I am way too familiar with this subject.

threep
12-31-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/7770?in=00:53:12

I'm a software developer at a company that's developing solar power solutions on a utility scale with a business plan that should exist outside of subsidies, and I can say that this next year is definitely when we're ramping things up...

uncle ebeneezer
12-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Another year ends in great BH fashion. Excellent diavlog, and very appropriate. Bob shows love for BH and all the commentors, contributors, etc., Mickey tries to prod Bob into a fit then retreats into his tunnelvision of "immigration". The best moment for me was when Bob mentioned sarcastically that his big worry about Iraq is the fact that it might leave our Southern border unprotected for the impending Mexican invasion that Mickey is so paranoid about. Good stuff.

Great year BHTV. I think the depth, variety, quality etc., all increased pretty noticeably. Hopefully the viewership did too. 2008 will be the year when BHTV takes over the world.

See you on the other side of the calender page. Happy New Year.

Most over-reported (ad nauseum) story or item of the year: how early the election coverage began.

zookarama
12-31-2007, 08:10 PM
at least that's how our PALM Treo's (Bob's: 650, mine: 700P,) are referred to over at anythingbutipod.com. Bob is correct, of course, in predicting the consolidation of personal gadgets. I've been listening to audio books on my PALM for a couple of years now. The drawback, for me, is that the TREO's bluetooth works only for the telephone- you still have to hardwire it to listen to MP3 files. Having once been seen with both a phone and an MP3 player on my belt, I celebrate the advance of science.
Thank you Bob, for this oasis in the desert of craziness. I'm very grateful.

Allan
01-01-2008, 02:16 AM
On the topic of borrowed ideas
I am curious to know
whether on his blog
"Kausfiles"
Mickey's amusing use of italicized comments
by an imaginary editor
was borrowed from the British satirical magazine
"Private Eye"
which had been doing this
many years before him.

bjkeefe
01-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Allan:

That's an interesting thought. I've always thought the excessive markup stemmed from those godawful digest-style, news-you-can-use rags that the suits like to read.

Tim O
01-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Mickey doesn't regret his rumor mongering? I'm shocked!

Mickey shouldn't blame himself for Kerry's loss. Ken Blackwell and his misappropriation of voting machines away from urban locations, making people wait in line for hours in the rain took care of that. Besides, nobody reads Mickey anyway.

TwinSwords
01-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Ken Blackwell and his misappropriation of voting machines away from urban locations, making people wait in line for hours in the rain took care of that.
Exactly. I'm glad you said it.

Speaking of voter fraud, the Ron Paul people are now convinced that a conspiracy is going to rig the vote count against them in Iowa and NH.

Here's an amusing video laying out the "threat": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkmmNft0g3Q

Tim O
01-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Bob,

Thank you for ridiculing Mickey on the Reconquista BS and the Edward's phony scandal.

I think Mickey's been reading too much of Tom Tancredo's campaign propaganda.

Does Mickey hide under his bed at night waiting for the Refrito Revolution?

bkjazfan
01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Mickey was wondering about the exodus of blacks from South Central Los Angeles. Well, they are leaving like the whites are. Either they are going to the outskirts of L.A. like Banning, Palmdale or places like that and to other states like Nevada, Colorado or back to the South from whence their families came. There is more than white flight there is black flight, too.

The 2 groups that are experiencing tremendous growth in L.A. are Asians and Hispanics - the latter being the most pronounced. They comprise 40% or more of the city's population. Asians are about 11%. The white stats are 30% and the blacks 10%.

I hope this clarifies somewhat what Mickey was trying to convey.

Globalcop
01-02-2008, 01:21 AM
This might have something to do with blacks fleeing their old neighborhoods as well.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=hispanic+gangs+targeting+blacks

Bloggin' Noggin
01-02-2008, 10:43 AM
GC,
As a straight boy, you may be blind to this, but Mormon missionaries tend to be extremely hot. Whenever I see them, I want to convert them. There are less festive things than Mormon missionaries in my book.

garbagecowboy
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I think this phenomenon has more to do with Mormons in general being very attractive. (This is a phenomenon I did notice when I've been in Utah... you know if you're into stunning doe-eyed blondes...) The fact that they wear complicated underwear and the men wear white shirts with black ties doesn't alter the fact that they are often very attractive people. But this is a classic case of confusing correlation with causation ;-)

Happy Hominid
01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I look forward to the unveiling. I've linked back to a number of diavlogs at my own blog, but it's so much more likely that people will click on an embedded clip.

uncle ebeneezer
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
On the Reconquista note, Bob shoulda played Kent Brockman and said "And I, for one, welcome our new Mexican overlords".

uncle ebeneezer
01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes, the temp agancy that sends my work all it's well "temps" is very fond of sending Mormon's for some reason. I have noticed the hotness of the ladies on several occasions. Of course then when we start talking about the "fun stuff" I quickly find out that they're not a match for my deviant godless lifestyle.

garbagecowboy
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Yea my ideal wife is a lapsed Mormon.

uncle ebeneezer
01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, the plural marriage idea is cool except that unfortunately all the other religious crap comes with it.

Atheist chicks are the way to go, for me.

Wolfgangus
01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I have noticed that about Mormon men and women too. Since I think Smith was pretty much a lying amoral manipulator that founded a religion to both get rich and exercise his sexual hedonism, perhaps the physical beauty reflects the heritable characteristics of the best tang he could convert.

bjkeefe
01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
I have noticed that about Mormon men and women too. Since I think Smith was pretty much a lying amoral manipulator that founded a religion to both get rich and exercise his sexual hedonism, perhaps the physical beauty reflects the heritable characteristics of the best tang he could convert.

I'll never be able to think of that astronaut drink the same way again.

I wonder if their coffee substitute was called Poon?

garbagecowboy
01-02-2008, 10:21 PM

Agreed. Perhaps as a young atheist I should try to form some sort of counter movement where I convert beautiful young theists of all faiths to godless hedonism to try to improve our breeding stock.

Tim_G
01-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I'd like to add to Bob and Mickey's list of irritating but unimportant people.

I think that Chris Crocker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc) ("Leave Britney Alone!") tops my list.

What other irritating people were inflicted upon us this year?

bjkeefe
01-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Tim_G:

I think that Chris Crocker ("Leave Britney Alone!") tops my list.

Following your link, I see:

Views: 14,954,522.

Just sayin': your case for "unimportant" is dubious, unless you think all pop culture phenomena are unimportant, in which case, Ann Althouse is going to beat you up, because she is interested in pop culture. (Oops. So much for my New Year's resolution.) And some of the spinoffs were pretty funny.

I thought the "don't taze me, bro" guy was way more annoying, in any case. And, he made what is an important issue (cops overusing Tasers) into a joke.

I forget the exact criteria Mickey laid out, but no matter what they were, I'm sure there's one person who would always make the top of my list: Ann Althouse.

There I go again. Better sign off.

garbagecowboy
01-02-2008, 11:56 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/meat412/MEBRO.jpg

bjkeefe
01-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Adam:

Nice.

TwinSwords
01-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm getting hungry just looking at it. ;p

garbagecowboy
01-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Haha I wasn't sure if you'd like that; it's the epitome of the phenomenon you decried: turning this situation into a really, really unfunny joke.

There was another one I was thinking of posting... a donut with: DON'T GLAZE ME, BRO.

bjkeefe
01-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Adam:

There was another one I was thinking of posting... a donut with: DON'T GLAZE ME, BRO.

Also funny.

What about a picture of an old building, that some would like to preserve as a historic landmark? DON'T RAZE ME, BRO!

Wolfgangus
01-03-2008, 07:39 AM
If I may: Captain Kirk in his battle stance, and

DON'T PHASE ME, BRO!

Wolfgangus
01-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Giordano Bruno being dragged to the stake:

DON'T BRAISE ME, BRO!

bjkeefe
01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
ROFL!

Good one, Wolf.

garbagecowboy
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Text over Jimmy Carter's face: MALAISE ME, BRO!

Wolfgangus
01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Text below an empty cross: DON'T PRAISE ME, BRO!

bjkeefe
01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Sign near a broken window: REGLAZE ME, BRO!

TwinSwords
01-03-2008, 10:58 AM
You all amaze me, bros. Your jokes hardly faze me, tho'.

garbagecowboy
01-03-2008, 01:26 PM

nearing
01-07-2008, 08:18 PM
I think Bob Wright is so sexy. He is frustrating AND sexy at the same time. Damn.

Hoofin
01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
I thought that the addition of festive headwear was a creative twist. But realistically, only one of the guys could do it and still maintain the dignity of the forum.

The who's moose is bigger also added a bit of lockerroom levity to what otherwise would have been a very plain diavlog.