PDA

View Full Version : UN Plaza: Darfur

Bloggingheads
12-30-2007, 10:05 AM

bjkeefe
12-30-2007, 01:20 PM
The echo on John's audio channel was strangely effective -- it made him sound like he like the Voice of Authority holding forth in a large conference hall. I wonder if that was intentional?

I was interested to hear Mark introduce this diavlog as a new weekly segment. Does that mean he'll always be hosting, with different partners? Or will it be this pair regularly? And has Matthew Lee gone on sabbatical? We demand openness from the BH.tv overlords!

Overall, I enjoyed this diavlog for its informative nature. I'm not sure that this pair could repeat indefinitely and hold audience interest, since the views of Mark and John seemed pretty parallel. Personally, I'm fine with not every diavlog being a debate, even on a regular basis (cf. "Science Saturdays"), but I imagine some of the viewers with different opinions on the UN would like to hear from someone more representative of their side.

Baltimoron
12-30-2007, 10:24 PM
I disagree on two points.

Firstly, this was an interview, not a diavlog. And, a really short one at that.

Secondly, I have wanted more foreign policy for a long time, but I hope bhTV is not going to discuss it solely through the prism of the UN. I think the Cirincione/Rhodes diavlog was a good example.

I haven't read Prendergast's article yet, so I'll return to that later.

bjkeefe
12-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Baltimoron:

Fair enough, as far you calling this an interview.

Agreed on the foreign policy wish.

DenvilleSteve
12-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Has anyone considered the "leave them alone to manage their own affairs" approach? Or "provide help and advice when asked"?

The latest out of the mouth of Hillary is that not until US troops are withdraw from Iraq will Iraqis step forward to make difficult decisions and manage their own affairs. Why does that logic not apply equally to Africa?

As it is, I see white male democrats advocating interventionist policies partly because they are able to make a living at it. If they were to advocate that Africa be left alone they would quickly be out of a job. Then *gasp*, they would have to make an honest living, providing goods and services to people in exchange for payment.

I am all for helping the people of Africa. Just dont see much value in doing things for Africans that they are capable of doing themselves. For the John Prendergast democrat policy advocate types to do the most good, maybe they should mentor Africans to do their jobs.

-Steve