PDA

View Full Version : Hippies and Victory Voters

Bloggingheads
12-26-2007, 11:01 PM

David
12-26-2007, 11:05 PM
This is Part II of a two-part diavlog, which explains why at the beginning, Heather cries, "We're back!" Back from where? If the technical problems facing Part I are resolved, we'll all find out soon enough. Otherwise, the world will never know. --Bhtv

bjkeefe
12-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Good luck on the recovery effort. Sounds like we missed a good one.

bjkeefe
12-27-2007, 09:47 AM
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced it was a mistake to post this fragment. It felt like an unfulfilled promise of delivery, kind of like going to a basketball game and finding out that they were going to start playing in the fourth quarter.

Granted, I didn't pay for a ticket. Still, I am in some sense your customer, and I felt cheated by this.

I understand that technical glitches happen. I think it would have been better not to post anything at all, except maybe a note of explanation. If you needed to have content up because of the deal with the NYT, I would have suggested posting a selection from the greatest hits gallery instead.

cragger
12-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I suppose they could have just re-posted an older diavlog, but putting together a "greatest hits" edition would probably be a lot of time, work, and of course dollars.

For it to be interesting, it would or should be organized around some theme - say for example the evolution of commentary about Iraq over the life of BHTV. If during a given diavlog one commenter made a point that wasn't adequately addressed by their current partner, perhaps someone else discussed that point or gave a better counter argument in another. A given commenter's reaction to changing events over time could be illuminating.

Putting together something worthwhile like that takes a lot of editorial work, going through hours of old "tape", editing it together and re-editing. Given the probable time and budget restrictions for an offerer of free content, well...

Not to mention that trying to do so in a way that ideally offers some new perspective or insight without provoking the usual whiners into crying about editorial bias if the end result doesn't fit their prejudices likely acts as a demotivator, although the evidence shows that content that avoids that result does not exist.

And would you really have wanted to miss Eli's cackle?

bjkeefe
12-27-2007, 11:38 AM
cragger:

I didn't mean a "greatest hits" show, or any other mashed-up work. I agree that this would take extra effort. I meant just posting an existing diavlog, if and only if they needed a placeholder to satisfy the NYT arrangement. Many of the "Science Saturday" diavlogs, for example, do not seem to lose relevance with the passage of a few months.

Now that I think about it, your notion of mashed-up diavlogs would be a lot of fun. I wonder what one would have to do to get access to the video files in a form that would be amenable to editing. I can easily anticipate any number of objections or worries that BH.tv would have in response to such a request, but it's still a fun project to contemplate.

somerandomdude
12-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm at work and I can't listen to this right now, but I just wanted to say again how much I hate Eli Lake.

Stop playing Risk you asshole! Real people are getting killed!

garbagecowboy
12-27-2007, 01:24 PM
There are definitely programs out there that grab flash video and convert it into a .avi or whatever type of file you use.

I have a program that does this specifically for youtube videos, which I use to download songs from music videos posted on youtube, and I'm not specifically aware of a program that does this for general flash video, but I would wager that a program of this nature exists.

Also aren't all the old diavlogs available as downloadable .wmv's? You could probably use these to make your own mash-up, if you were so inclined.

Paging Nate... is he still around?

bjkeefe
12-27-2007, 02:50 PM
GC:

Thanks for the input. What program do you use for grabbing YouTube videos?

garbagecowboy
12-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm on my work computer and I don't recall the name of the program. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Googling "save youtube videos" seems to give a bunch of leads, though, including some that appear to let you do it without even having to download any program as a web-app.

I don't want to lead you to some pop-up heavy site or something so I'll let you google it yourself if you're interested, but I remember I didn't need to get some lead from somebody who knew about some niche program; it's pretty easy to do and there are a bunch of programs that do it.

bjkeefe
12-27-2007, 03:44 PM
GC:

Thanks for the reply, and if you think of the name of the app you like, I'd appreciate hearing about it. You're right -- Googling will probably get me what I want, but I thought I might use you as a preliminary filter.