PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Best Blogginghead (Founder's Edition)

TwinSwords
12-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Who did I forget? Who do you enjoy the most? The poll above was restricted to regular contributors who first appeared in the early months of the media juggernaut's existence. Our thanks to all of them!

Robert Wright
Mickey Kaus
Big Media Matt (Yglesias)
David Corn
James Pinkerton
Byron York
Joel Achenbach
Amy Sullivan
Jacqueline Shire
Ross Douthat

Apologies to all the great Bloggingheads who deserved to be included, but could not due to space constraints. Look for your name in a future poll!

bjkeefe
12-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Twin:

As annoyed as I am that you omitted Andrew Sullivan and Rosa Brooks from the list, not to mention George&John (considered as a single entity), I do like the hint of another idea that comes from "Big Media Matt."

I propose we create insider nicknames for all of our favorites, including those we might love to hate. Supporting dingalinks a bonus (which I'm too tired to look for right now -- maybe when the old forums come online).

Some candidates:

o Eli Lake: The Uncontainable (from the diavlog where he brilliantly opened with "Bloggingheads viewers: you can't stop me, you can only hope to contain me."

o David Drum: The Unapologetic

o Mickey Kaus: The Erstwhile Deployer --or-- Annie's Lust --or-- The Moose that Snored (cf: last diavlog when Bob was describing the new site's features)

o Byron York: The Mother of All Pompadours

o Eric Alterman: The Too-Young Curmudgeon

o Matthew Continetti: The Unimpordand --or-- The Big Sweater

o Rod Dreher: The Whiner of His Discontent

o Ann Althouse: The Mouth That Bored

As usual, I'm better at the concept than the execution, so I welcome all other submissions.

TwinSwords
12-20-2007, 01:32 AM
As annoyed as I am that you omitted Andrew Sullivan and Rosa Brooks from the list, not to mention George&John (considered as a single entity), I do like the hint of another idea that comes from "Big Media Matt."

Brendan,
I totally understand your disappointment. When I first started making the poll, I included Rosa. She's actually my favorite 'head of them all, save for Robert himself. (Er, Himself.)

But as I was trying to pick out the top ten heads of all time for inclusion in the poll, I realized it would be impossible to do it fairly. Therefore I limited the first ten candidates to people who appeared in the early months of the BHTV enterprise. We can do more polls, later. This is the Founder's Edition. We can think of other Editions for the future. I would love to hear your ideas, as always.

And while you're brainstorming, another great poll idea would be "Best Momeent in BHTV history", complete with dingalinks to the nominated moments. Feel free to offer suggestions; we need people who can recall the great moments to help. (Where's Nate, anyway?)

Eventually, we will have annual "Oscars." We'll need our own name for them. But you know, "Best 'Head of 2007," "Best Pair," "Best Single Matchup," "Best Segment," "Best Dingalink," "Best Head in a Whining Role," "Best Smackdown." Whatever. I, too, plead exhaustion. The good ideas will come, but not before sleep.

Cheers.

bjkeefe
12-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Twin:

Thanks.

(Where's Nate, anyway?)

Yeah. Been wondering the same thing myself.

TwinSwords
12-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Twin:

Thanks.

Yeah. Been wondering the same thing myself.
We might be able to track him down via his Wikipedia identity. He's the author of the BHTV wikipedia page, as you know. If it weren't so dern late, I think I'd head over to his user page and badger him.

garbagecowboy
12-20-2007, 10:12 AM
We might be able to track him down via his Wikipedia identity. He's the author of the BHTV wikipedia page, as you know. If it weren't so dern late, I think I'd head over to his user page and badger him.

I'll just get the IP address and then take a quick peek over his firewall just to make sure he's still alive and using his credit cards.

Speaking of which, I think it was Nate who one time tracked me down and sent me an IM via AIM in order to tell me how he was seeing diavlogs before they were posted. Back in those bad old days, we were unable to pm each other; I remember the contrivance he went to to find out my AIM handle was only a little frightening.

It's now on my member page, actually, so if anybody wants to chat(!) with me when I'm not at work feel free. To think, a friend to talk to!

bjkeefe
12-20-2007, 10:16 AM
GC:

Thanks for the invitation. I'll keep it in mind, although I don't do the IM thing very often. I'm all about asynchronous communication.

Baltimoron
12-24-2007, 08:27 PM
I voted based on whom the pollster nominated, but I have to nominate seven other meritorious 'heads, because it was hard to select from that field. I also have this criminal inability to recall names, so without a list to jog my memory, the Founder's poll was about as convenient as an incantation in ancient Gaelic:

1. Heather Hurlburt (I would argue she can handle any 'head in a debate)
2. Eli Lake (as good in writing as live, and damn good in the field--a big award for his Iraq coverage--something bhTV needs more of)
3. Michael Tomasky (solid, which is something many 'heads aren't)
4. Dan Drezner (even better live than on his blog)
5. Garance Franke-Ruta (Ok, yes, easy on the eyes, but also good from the field and as good live as blogging.)
6. Will Wilkinson (he makes econ fun!)
7. Carl Zimmer (the science blogger with the neat tattoo pics and who doesn't sound like he smoked too much weed in the lab before going on air!)

Any number of pairings of these seven would trump any conceivable pairings of those nominated in the original poll, I would argue. I understand why the "Founders" deserve praise, but some pairings are ossifying, and some 'heads could use some down time to reacquire some reason we should listen to them.

Not to be mean, but certainly honest, I wouldn't like to see these 'heads ever again:

1, David Frum (pettiness personified)
2. Charlotte Hays (who cares about gossip, and not even a blogger!)
3. Megan McArdle (redeemable, but not a priority)
4. Mark Schmitt (mumbling, soporific)
5. Jonah Goldberg (TNR's gig with Peter Beinart suffices for my Goldberg ration for the month).

The rest I just consider middling, regardless of whether they're a founder or not.

rigger
12-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Wait a minute--this is a diavlog, n'est pas? Let us vote for the best pair!

Hoofin
01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
This is invidious.

These folks get invited on to participate, so that people have a talking head debate to surf to, if they are tired of the stuff on TV.

Then, if they make the effort, they get poll rated like it's yet another political horse race. Enough!

Besides, everyone knows that online "virtual markets" are the way to call who is up or down nowadays. Give me fifty BloggoBucks to go long Mickey, and short the lesser known bloggers!