PDA

View Full Version : My Dingalink of the Week Prize arrived!

Joel_Cairo
12-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Don't ever let it be said that Bob is not a man of his word. A couple days ago I received Nonzero: the Logic of Human Destiny, a first edition no less, very kindly made out to me personally (or, at least, made out to my nom-de-net). Bob even took the time to manually correct a typo in one of the appendices. A real gent.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x128/stomadial/BHTV.jpg

I've only had a chance to read the intro and the first chapter, and as of this posting there has been no mention of the recurrent themes of Bob's oeuvre: no calls for the excommunication of Ann Coulter; no shell-shocked obsessing over the trauma of seeing Janet Jackson's nipple during the Super Bowl; no reiterations of the fundamental incoherence of simultaneously installing democratic self-rule and permanent US military bases in Iraq, but then again the book is quite long yet.

One thing the book already has done, however, is add another data point supporting my theory that depth and breadth of intellect is inversely proportional to penmanship.

Thanks Bob!

TwinSwords
12-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey, congratulations!

ndk
12-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey that is pretty cool. Good dingalink-creation motivation.

kj
12-19-2007, 10:43 AM
One thing the book already has done, however, is add another data point supporting my theory that depth and breadth of intellect is inversely proportional to penmanship.

If that's true then I'm a fucking genius!

bjkeefe
12-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Works for me, too, but I'd be willing to trade a few points for the ability to write legibly.

garbagecowboy
12-19-2007, 11:45 AM

If that's true then I'm a fucking genius!

Unlike you morons, my penmanship is impeckable.

bjkeefe
12-19-2007, 11:56 AM
GC:

... my penmanship is impeckable.

Like your typing, hunter? ;^)

garbagecowboy
12-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Sorry, it's this damn Dvorak keyboard I got for Kwanzaa. Can't touch type on this thimg.

TwinSwords
12-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Unlike you morons, my penmanship is impeckable.
Hehe. Good one.

bjkeefe
12-19-2007, 08:25 PM
GC:

I thought it was an intentional typo, and a clever one, at that. But thanks for your honesty.

(I could have sworn I made this comment a few hours ago -- maybe it got posted elsewhere?)

garbagecowboy
12-20-2007, 01:53 AM
GC:

I thought it was an intentional typo, and a clever one, at that. But thanks for your honesty.

(I could have sworn I made this comment a few hours ago -- maybe it got posted elsewhere?)

It was an intentional typo. Sometimes when I layer sarcasm upon sarcasm something gets lost in translation.

bjkeefe
12-20-2007, 07:13 AM
GC:

I worry about that in my own words, too. Maybe there should be a special font for sarcasm and irony. Smilies alone just don't do it.

TwinSwords
12-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Maybe there should be a special font for sarcasm and irony.
LOL, it's funny you should say that. There's another forum I used to post on where the admin added a "Sarcasm" button to the toolbar (next to the bold, italics, and underline buttons). It changed the selected sarcastic text to a different font. It didn't work, because only the forum insiders knew what the font meant. So then the admin got rid of the font and simply surrounded the sarcasm with visible sarcasm tags, like this:

[***Begin sarcasm:]Oh, you're a fine intellect![/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:

garbagecowboy
12-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I prefer the old usenet tag <g> for "grinning," which is both highly efficient in terms of typing and conveys some forms of irony and sarcasm clearly.

However for biting sarcasm it doesn't work.