PDA

View Full Version : Streaming/Downloads

Baltimoron
12-14-2007, 06:49 PM
I downloaded the Cirincione/Rhodes diavlog because stuttering and slow streaming is turning listening into sheer hell. I was content until the diavlog ground to a halt in the middle of "Why Disarmament Failed". The download speed was also quite slugglsh, never exceeding about 15 kbs. I'll try the .mp3 option, but since Flash, bhTV is just not as enjoyable as it was. Actually, it's just annoying.

Alright I just tried to download the mp3 for this diavlog. It took about 15 minutes. But, it's last Sunday's Science diavlog! Thanks!

fortinbras
12-15-2007, 06:34 AM
The same thing happened to me, when I tried to download the Cirincione/Rhodes diavlog as an mp3.

TwinSwords
12-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I have no problems streaming the video normally, but I decided to download 3 of the recent diavlogs to see what speeds I got. They all downloaded at about 110 Kbps, which isn't as fast as it could be, but it's pretty decent.

One suggestion: Don't try to stream the video at the same time you are downloading the .WMV or .MP3. You should get better download speeds if you pause or stop the streaming while you are downloading. You only have x amount of bandwidth, so to get the fasted downloads, use as much of that bandwidth as possible for the download -- don't split it up by also trying to stream.

Baltimoron
12-16-2007, 10:26 PM
I understand that much, and I understand streaming might falter with the connection.

But, why after downloading an mp3 segment by itself (I exercised as I downloaded) should I get the wrong segment entirely or just a piece. I atill have not watched the entire diavlog!

TwinSwords
12-16-2007, 10:36 PM
I understand that much, and I understand streaming might falter with the connection.

But, why after downloading an mp3 segment by itself (I exercised as I downloaded) should I get the wrong segment entirely or just a piece. I atill have not watched the entire diavlog!

Sounds like they accidentally linked to the wrong diavlog. Send 'em an email.

They might accept PMs, too.

ctcboater
12-19-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm getting only partial downloads of both the wmv and mp3 files. Never happened before the site was changed. I "grab" the flv file (with a Firefox extension) but I suspect that it's also incomplete because I can't move the time slider or pause the play. The only way to play is straight through from the beginning to end. Not easy at work...

Greg Dingle
12-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all the reports. I found a solution that covers most of problems. Things should be better now except that Internet Explorer may open the download links for playing instead of downloading. You can get around this by right-clicking -> save as .

anexpat
08-31-2008, 07:20 AM
For some reason, as I listen to BHT, my feed often poops out and dies, and I see the video attempting to buffer, sometimes for minutes or even hours at a time-- I have walked away from my computer only to return hours later with it still seeming to be reloading the page. The only thing that works for me is to click the "reload" button on my browser. But the problem is, when I reload, the diavlog starts over again at the beginning.

A modest suggestion to the BHT web staff: would it be possible for viewers to be able to type in the exact minute and second that we want to start watching a video? That way we wouldnt have to approximate where we are trying to start, and could just move straight to the place where we left off.

bjkeefe
08-31-2008, 04:21 PM
For some reason, as I listen to BHT, my feed often poops out and dies, and I see the video attempting to buffer, sometimes for minutes or even hours at a time-- I have walked away from my computer only to return hours later with it still seeming to be reloading the page. The only thing that works for me is to click the "reload" button on my browser. But the problem is, when I reload, the diavlog starts over again at the beginning.

You can use the slider beneath the video (or click on the track where the slider moves). When I have to reload a video, this is what I do. You can usually get pretty close to where you left off.

A modest suggestion to the BHT web staff: would it be possible for viewers to be able to type in the exact minute and second that we want to start watching a video? That way we wouldnt have to approximate where we are trying to start, and could just move straight to the place where we left off.

That's already possible. For example, to watch the 31 Aug 2008 edition of Free Will, starting at 10:32, use this url:

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/14048?in=10:32

NB: put the question mark right after the video id (in this case, 14048, and don't put in any extra slashes (/).