PDA

View Full Version : Avatars, post counts, member levels

garbagecowboy
12-14-2007, 11:39 AM
One thing that I'm sure this forum can do that phorum could not do is allow things like avatars, poster levels and such.

I doubt that the bh.tv brass will like these because they often make the website feel cozy and homey but at the same time unprofessional.

At my favorite Twins site BYTO (http://www.battleyourtailoff.com) they have a bunch of pre-selectable avatars and obviously you can update your own (my favorite is our horrible former shortstop Juan Castro dropping a flyball) and then as you increase your post count you ascend through various dictators. You start as Fidel, then you're Pol Pot, then eventually you're Mao, Napoleon, after 2500 posts you become Franklin Pierce, and at the very top of the scale is Ariel from the Little Mermaid.

Also the moderators will give particularly annoying posters their own categories.

I'm sure bh.tv will not do that but the categories could be more clever (people start as Sam Brownback, then can get up to Dennis Kucinich and those with 2000 posts are Barack Obama) or they could do something less clever but more professional (like Newbie, Stranger, Old-hand, Poo-bah, GRAND Poo-bah) and if they don't do that they could at least let us have avatars.

thprop
12-14-2007, 11:46 AM
At my favorite Twins site BYTO (http://www.battleyourtailoff.com) .....
GC - I think BYTO is a phonied up message board that you cooked up in your deluded mind. There are only five Twins fans total in the universe - and three of them cannot read let alone use a computer.

No way you could heap such abuse on me - I am a Cubs fan. In 2008, celebrating a century since their last World Series Championship. As Jack Brickhouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Brickhouse) said - any team can have a bad century.

-asx-
12-15-2007, 01:39 PM
One thing that I'm sure this forum can do that phorum could not do is allow things like avatars, poster levels and such.

I doubt that the bh.tv brass will like these because they often make the website feel cozy and homey but at the same time unprofessional.

At my favorite Twins site BYTO (http://www.battleyourtailoff.com) they have a bunch of pre-selectable avatars and obviously you can update your own (my favorite is our horrible former shortstop Juan Castro dropping a flyball) and then as you increase your post count you ascend through various dictators. You start as Fidel, then you're Pol Pot, then eventually you're Mao, Napoleon, after 2500 posts you become Franklin Pierce, and at the very top of the scale is Ariel from the Little Mermaid.

Also the moderators will give particularly annoying posters their own categories.

I'm sure bh.tv will not do that but the categories could be more clever (people start as Sam Brownback, then can get up to Dennis Kucinich and those with 2000 posts are Barack Obama) or they could do something less clever but more professional (like Newbie, Stranger, Old-hand, Poo-bah, GRAND Poo-bah) and if they don't do that they could at least let us have avatars.

I agree with your post. I think they should enable avatars and the Post Bit pane that usually sits to the left of each post (where the avatar is displayed, along with other interesting information).

User categories based on their post rank would also be a fun touch.

Overall, vBulletin is just a great, great improvement!

garbagecowboy
12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
What do you work for vBulletin, or are you just on ecstasy?

garbagecowboy
12-15-2007, 08:12 PM
I would think up some pithy response, but since you're a Cubs fan, well, I'll just point out that you're a Cubs fan.

kj
12-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I think we should move up as contributers, starting as Ann Althouse, moving through Johah Goldberg, Mickey, Bob and of course the pinnacle, Ezra Klein.

I doubt there would be any objection to my list although I would consider an addition.

garbagecowboy
12-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Can there be any doubt that the highest level is Achenbach?

TwinSwords
12-17-2007, 05:05 PM
I think we should move up as contributers, starting as Ann Althouse, moving through Johah Goldberg, Mickey, Bob and of course the pinnacle, Ezra Klein.

I doubt there would be any objection to my list although I would consider an addition.

LOL! That is a great idea.

Although BHTV would never go for anything that was an insult to contributors, we should try to come up with some suggestions and propose them to Brenda, et al. I don't know if they'd be up for it, but it's worth a try.