PDA

View Full Version : New Blogger Pairing Suggestions

dmargolis
12-13-2007, 05:26 PM
The Bh.tv movie vlog was a success. How about a music one? You could get real blogging musicians or music critics to talk about all the important bloggy implications of stuff like Radiohead's direct download album, the transformation of the music biz, and music blogs. One perfect candidate for this is Carrie Brownstein - of Sleater-Kinney - who is now blogging for NPR. You could pair her with any of Bob or Mickey's favorite artists, like Jill Sobule or Regina Spektor...

This would be outstanding internet television, and would pull in a whole new set of eyes.

TwinSwords
12-13-2007, 05:28 PM
You know who would be interesting?

Noam Chomsky. I'd love to see him have a diavlog with just about any conservative. Byron York or Doughy Pantload would be good candidates.

dmargolis
12-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I agree with you that Chomsky would be interesting, but maybe he could be paired with a linguist? Or someone who is an expert in cognitive science or philosophy of language or mind? He is too strident in his politics for a right-left diavlog to be anything more than a shouting match.

I once saw a debate between him and Foucault from French tv (excerpted in an American documentary) which was fantastic. Pair him with someone who wants to talk about the evolution of language, free will v. determinism, or universal grammatology and you've got yourself some compelling internet television.

bjkeefe
12-13-2007, 05:49 PM
How about Chomsky and Steve Pinker? We know Bob already has an in with Pinker.

TwinSwords
12-13-2007, 06:39 PM
My own personal preference would be for Chomsky to talk about politics. I find that much more intersting, and much more in line with BHTV's mission, than linguistics. Honestly, I would fall asleep listening to a conversation about universal grammatology.

bjkeefe
12-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Twin:

Another optional pairing for Chomsky could be Christine Kenneally, a veteran of BH.tv. (Okay, so she was on once.) Even if she talked linguistics with Chomsky the whole time, I think she's appealing enough to keep you awake. I know that'd be true for me. OTOH, a discussion of linguistics is something I'm pretty sure I'd find fascinating all by itself.

Wonderment
12-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Let''s move into the arts: music, literature, film, painting. We did have whoshamacallit, the science fiction novelist a week or so ago, but there are lots of great writers of fiction out there who also have a lot to say about current affairs.

I'd still put in a vote for philosopher Thomas Nagel whose name was dropped by Josh Cohen a few diavlogs ago. Peter Singer would be good too, or Peter Seger in a pinch.

In the rest of the civilized world, you often get to read the views of leading philosophers and novelists in the mainstream newspapers. In Spain, for example, Fernando Savater, the country's most renowned philosopher, is a regular contributor to El País newspaper. Mario Vargas Llosa (Peruvian) and Carlos Fuentes (Mexican) play similar prominent roles in their countries. In Israel novelists like Amos Oz and David Grossman are frequent op ed writers. So since we'll never see names like these in the Des Moines Register, let's get them to vlog here.

I'm rambling a bit, but bottom line: bring in more creative artists. Bono, Sean Pean, Susan Sarandon. They'd probably all love to take on David Frum. (I resist the temptation to add a smiley face)

garbagecowboy
12-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Duh... Chomsky vs. John McWhorter.

QED.

garbagecowboy
12-14-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm rambling a bit, but bottom line: bring in more creative artists. Bono, Sean Pean, Susan Sarandon. They'd probably all love to take on David Frum. (I resist the temptation to add a smiley face)

Oh, Sweet Jesus, no. If any of those three are allowed onto BH.tv it will be the beginning of the end.

Exeus99
12-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Many who posted at the old forum suggested the Freakanomics authors for BHs. I nominate Prof. Steven Landsburg, author of The Armchair Economist and (infrequent) Slate contributor. He could be paired with any of the econ. BHs, and would also make a good partner for one of the libertarian-leaning political BHs; alternately he could be paired with a more liberal-leaning BH, someone like Klein who wants nationalized health care, for example. Mr. Landsburg has a new-ish book "More Sex is Safer Sex," and I'm sure he would be willing to promote that and discuss any of the ideas from the book on BH. Plus as I mentioned he does some work for Slate, so I'm sure Mr. Kaus could find his phone number.

dmargolis
12-15-2007, 11:46 AM
good idea... personally, i'd find it hilarious to see mcardle or wilkinson with their naive neo-classical conceptions of economics paired with real PhDs who actually know what they're talking about... Bring on Levitt, Stiglitz, DeLong, or Krugman!

-asx-
12-15-2007, 01:30 PM
You know who would be great?

Juan Cole, University of Michigan history professor (http://www.juancole.com/).

I don't know who you could pair him with, though. I suspect many conservatives would be reluctant to go up against him because he is such an expert on the subject matter.

I guess the ideal would be to pair him with Robert Wright.

Maybe Mickey would be brave enough to take on Dr. Cole? ;)

daveh
12-19-2007, 03:32 AM
Luke Ford
Luke Ford
Luke Ford

bjkeefe
12-19-2007, 03:46 AM
If you mean this (http://www.lukeford.net/blog/index.php/) Luke Ford, I vote no. We already have Mickey Kaus for baseless gossip that no one wants to hear.