PDA

View Full Version : Merchandising!!!!

thprop
12-13-2007, 03:13 PM
So BHtv t-shirts and mugs are available. Why is there no official BHtv stuffed moose available? Why bother saying deploy the moose when you have no moose to deploy?

I think Garance Franke-Ruta, Rosa Brooks and Amy Sullivan should wear "Deploy the Moose" Jr. Spaghetti Tank tops when diavlogging - to really show their support for BHtv. Not for cheap thrills for the viewers - although I would not complain.

TwinSwords
12-13-2007, 05:32 PM
It looks like there are no ads in the new design! I always expected that the launch of the redesign would be accompanied by annoying ads.

Joel_Cairo
12-17-2007, 03:46 PM
On a more serious note, has anyone ever heard of any messageboard making money off one of those CafePress stores? I know of at least two other forums with such a storefront hawking similarly branded merch, and on both sites there is the same running joke about how not even the die-hardest forum-mainstay has ever bought anything...

garbagecowboy
12-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I seriously doubt that the sales of bh.tv cra--err, merchandise, end up being worth more than maybe $100 a month. And I bet that's an overestimate.

Whatever the figure is, there is no way that the cafepress "business model" would ever turn this site into a cash cow. It would have to be ads.

Joel_Cairo
12-17-2007, 05:33 PM
It would have to be ads.

Alas, I agree. Much as I hate flashing banners screaming at me to take brain-dead pop-culture quizes (Whose nose is this? a. Paris Hilton b. Lindsay Lohan...), Bob's gotta keep the lights on somehow.

TwinSwords
12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
It's entirely possible that Bob has a business model that isn't dependent on ads. C-SPAN doesn't have ads, either, but is one of the most valuable resources in American society. In fact, ads would only undermine it.

Joel_Cairo
12-17-2007, 05:50 PM
It's entirely possible that Bob has a business model that isn't dependent on ads.

True true. You know, I have often thought about this: BHTV may seem like a pretty bootleg operation, but it actually must be somewhat capital intensive. Bob has to pay for the website, pay the BHTV crew, pay for the equipment and cameras and the their transport from one set of 'heads to the next (not so hard if, say, Matt Yglesias, Ross Douthat and Megan McArdle are all appearing one week, but much trickier when you're dealing with far-flung correspondants). Do you think he's been just bankrolling it out of pocket so far, or is there really a venture capitalist somewhere behind the picture?

TwinSwords
12-17-2007, 09:26 PM
True true. You know, I have often thought about this: BHTV may seem like a pretty bootleg operation, but it actually must be somewhat capital intensive. Bob has to pay for the website, pay the BHTV crew, pay for the equipment and cameras and the their transport from one set of 'heads to the next (not so hard if, say, Matt Yglesias, Ross Douthat and Megan McArdle are all appearing one week, but much trickier when you're dealing with far-flung correspondants). Do you think he's been just bankrolling it out of pocket so far, or is there really a venture capitalist somewhere behind the picture?

I'm not sure, really. But you can get a little information from the About page:

http://bloggingheads.tv/about/

It says,

"[I]n January of 2007, ... Bloggingheads.tv attracted investment money. Thus was born Brainwave.tv, LLC, which owns both Bloggingheads.tv and Meaningoflife.tv. The lead investor in Brainwave.tv is Bob Rosencrans, a Cable TV pioneer who, among other accomplishments, imparted the initial momentum to C-SPAN."